Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received lower A-arm bushings from OKP, their more expensive "Made in Italy" versions, P/N AR50003009. Aside from being nice looking pieces, the thing that jumps out is that they come with a thick and stiff plastic washer, which I believe replaces the felt washer in OEM parts. I'm concerned that the outer face of the washer sits well proud of the face of the inner shaft/race of the bushing, photo below. While there is some conflicting info on the BB, I'm of the strong opinion that the washer goes on the inboard side of the a-arm, toward the center of the dogbone. I think that's confirmed in the parts diagram (2nd photo), plus it makes sense that this washer protects the inboard side of the bushing from water and dirt, while the a-arm grease cup performs that function on the outboard side.

So question: Is the idea that this washer will compress when the nut at the end of the dogbone is torqued, so that the inner race of the bushing will make metal-to-metal contact with the steel dogbone washer, and thus will be clamped firmly and prevented from rotating? The washer seems awfully stiff for that, so I want check before applying torque and ruining something. Has anyone else used these specific bushings?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trying again on this thread to see if anyone has any experience with the OKP lower a-arm bushings that have the orange plastic seals (P/N AR50003009).

I did get a response from OKP to my previous question that the stiffness of the seal is OK. I went ahead and assembled the lower a-arm, and when the nut is torqued, the plastic doesn't really compress, but kind of squishes out in the gap between the dogbane washer and the bushing. But what concerns me is that the squishing isn't uniform around the circumference and the seal seems distorted in places; arrow in photo below. My concern is whether it is supposed to be like this, and whether this will provide an effective long-term seal against water and dirt.

Anybody have any experience with these? (I have an enquiry in to OKP also but no response thus far.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi lpalmer,
So here’s what the Akron brand inner A-arm bushings look like, with the foam rubber ‘seals’. They look a lot like your plastic ones and may help keep dirt & debris out of the ball joint I side the bushing. The ‘seals’ look distorted, kind of like the way your seals look. Hope this helps...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, yes they do look similar. I'm moving forward with reassembling the suspension and hoping for the best long-term. Much appreciated; this gives me more confidence that this is how it's 'sposed to be.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I just assembled mine from a '67 Spider. Can't tell you which brand, but they have a cork-like washer there, and it seemed to conform nicely to the dogbone and arm.

IMG_5557.JPG

On mine there is no outer piece to fill in this tiny gap, and the 1600 had no dust cap.

IMG_5555 copy.JPG

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Re gap: My 1600 had shims placed here. Whether original or not, I don’t know. Maybe they were compensating for differently sized replacement bushes at some point.
Maybe some lateral movement is expected....it is a spherical bearing after all, not a simple, ‘square-mount’ Bush.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I wondered about that - is there play there? Then I realized the bush is pressed into the arm from the inside, and is hard against the stop. The washers bear on the inner collar of the bush, so It's all solid. The spherical bush allows rotation as well as twist. I'm ready to put it back on, just not sure if I'm missing something!

Thanks -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts