Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me determine where the proper jacking points are for my GTV6? I have a nice floor jack, and want to lift the driver's front to check for a steering clunk. So I don't want to lift on the suspension, but on the body. 1982 GTV6, if that helps.

Anyone have a diagram? Page number in the manual that I'm missing?

Thank you!

·
Registered
290 Posts
To check the suspension you need to jack the suspension.

Same process for a 105.

Jack point is in under the plastic skirt on the sill behind the front wheel. Should be easy to see.
However to check the suspension jack as far out on the lower control arm as you can.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My favorite front jack point for the Milano and GTV6 is the protrusion on the center front cross member - below the radiator. Jacking there raises both front wheels.

Jack points on the rockers are notoriously rusty and weak - especially the front ones.

I usually jack the rear from the center of the De-Dion - right under the watts link connection. Lifts both rear wheels at the same time. Some have cautioned about bending or damaging the tube, but in my 14 years of messing with these cars I have never seen an issue.

·
Administrator
16,369 Posts
From the Owner's Manual.

Left side photo shows an upside U shaped hoop under the radiator. I use this often to raise the entire front end.

Right side photo shows the Alfa jack in the jacking slots under the rockers. As others have mentioned, be sure these are in good condition as this is a common rust out area.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the Owner's Manual.

Left side photo shows an upside U shaped hoop under the radiator. I use this often to raise the entire front end.

Right side photo shows the Alfa jack in the jacking slots under the rockers. As others have mentioned, be sure these are in good condition as this is a common rust out area.
Cool! Now that I have a picture, I can go back and look at the manual for the third time. :( My brain did not want to see that, I guess.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To check the suspension you need to jack the suspension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkHeDQomX0k

Same process for a 105.

Jack point is in under the plastic skirt on the sill behind the front wheel. Should be easy to see.
However to check the suspension jack as far out on the lower control arm as you can.
If the clunk is coming from steering, don't I need to unload the suspension to check the tie rods?

I guess there's a related question here - where do folks put their jack stands? Lift the front as shown in the manual, then put stands at the front jacking points?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I guess there's a related question here - where do folks put their jack stands? Lift the front as shown in the manual, then put stands at the front jacking points?
That's my usual M.O. I jack up the front using the bracket under the center of the radiator and then put jack stands under the jack points on the sides of the vehicle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Any play in the steering will show up regardless. Usually the inner track rod joint wears out (the one you cant see inside the steering bellow).
If you have a knock I would check the lower ball joints, the lower control arm bush's and the caster rod bush's.
Jack one side at a time to maximize the load on the suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts