Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a few days ago, when I make a hard left turn my doors lock.

Aside from that and unrelated - Got in the car yesterday and the battery was dead. Turns out the trunk did not close when I took the groceries out a couple of days ago and the light was on. I had noticed some trouble getting it to latch for the past week or two and troubleshooting led me to the release solenoid which was gummed up and stiff so that the spring was not pulling it back out after actuating. I used some penetrating oil and got it free by pulling it in and out with pliers but then, due to the lubrication it created a semi air tight seal so that it didn't want to go either direction instantaneously because it built up either a vacuum or pressure depending on which direction I tried to move it. So then I tried to clean it with electrical cleaner and dry it out. It got better but I still can't get it to work right consistently.

So - does anyone have a trunk release solenoid they don't need?

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Yes, the 91-93 164 does not have an on/off switch for that trunk light, as the 94-95 does. I have it turned off in the LS, and turn it on just when I need it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Door locks

With the car idling, give the drivers door a quick open. Maybe you can recreate the g's. Maybe a short or something in the wiring there. I figure that's the most commonly used lock system that could foul up.

Then maybe wiring near the alarm stuff in the trunk? After that, I would have to start reading wiring diagrams that I don't understand.

Sounds like your car is somewhat adapting to modern safety standards, with auto door locking features. I think they all lock now at 5 or 8 mph to keep us all safe and secure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts