Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just about finished stripping everything off my 1972 GTV and I'm thinking about the work ahead. As I repair a section, I want to protect it from the atmosphere to prevent it rusting until I'm ready to get the final paint job done. Has anyone tried one of the industrial type primers such as PA10 (Red Oxide), Hammerite, Rustoleum or any other such paints?
Otherwise, (and I know there has been a lot said about paint) what is the best way to protect newly repaired metal from rusting for possibly several months?

·
Administrator
16,993 Posts
If you anticipate the metal will need further work before final prime/paint then I suspect any cheap paint would do. Since it'll need to come off for final metal work a lacquer type primer would probably be easiest to strip off - basically use lacquer thinner to wipe it off.

If the metal work is done then I'd suggest using a primer that is compatable with what ever final paint you plan to use. Think of the paint from primer to final coat as a system - they must all play nicely together.

I had my MGA stripped then epoxy primed. Supposed to be tough stuff. For small parts that I do at home, I like Rustoleum Etching Primer (spray can). It dries fast & seems to stick tight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the reply. I've been told that primers are porous and if left for too long the metal can still rust underneath. Is that true of epoxy primers too? I would have thought that epoxy would be impervious to moisture.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply. I've been told that primers are porous and if left for too long the metal can still rust underneath. Is that true of epoxy primers too? I would have thought that epoxy would be impervious to moisture.

I used SPI epoxy primer, easy to install and work with. You can shoot it with a portable compressor and an HF trim paint gun.

Southern Polyuerthanes, Inc.

Barry will answer his cell 365 a year to answer questions. They have a forum with lots of good ideas and information.

I will never paint with anything else.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. Sounds like good stuff but on the wrong side of the planet.

·
Administrator
12,538 Posts
I've successfully used PA10 and no rust 20+ years later with no other protection.
Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts