Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just finished building up my Milano platinum with a low mileage motor, refreshed the driveshaft, installed new bushings and mounts, and tried to start my car. it wouldnt even turn over. the starter clicked but wouldnt turn.

wait, let me back up a bit.

I thought my battery was dead, so I installed a new one. as I was installing it, I had it reversed for a split second where I only just touched the post with the clamps. then I realized what I did, and turned the battery around. this is my possible screw up number 1.

I then tried to start it but nothing but a click. I had realized that I did not hook up the thick ground cable from the battery to the engine. I had installed it (like other cars) right to the chassis. Once I realized my error from the workshop manual, I quickly attached it to the engine. this is my possible screw up #2.

I tried to start the car again but just a click. I realized it was the starter, so I changed that out. with a new starter in place, the engine turns over nicely but absolutely no sign of life.

I am about to troubleshoot the fuel or spark issue. but my question is:

could I have fried any electronics, l-jetronic or spark, by trying to send alot of current through very flimsey ground connections that may be only thing grounding the engine block?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have read that you can really screw up the LJet by hooking the battery up backwards, but if in mistake 2 you had no ground connection, then wouldn't you not have made a complete circuit when connecting the battery backwards. It shouldn't matter if you connected it backwards if one of the cables wasn't connected to anything.

You can test one of your injectors during startup to see if its working or connect an ignition light to check your spark plugs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your reply.

when you mean test your injectors, do you mean removing the connector and check for the 12V Pulse at the wire?

Bill

·
Registered
338 Posts
There is a method of making a testing device with a LED and a resistor, maybe someone can post the details. You could remove it and shoot it into a glass. I'm not sure if you'd be able to read the pulse on a voltmeter.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
You can use one of these things plugged into on of the injector connectors, I bought this kit at a local cheapie tool store for about $16 if I recall correctly. Essentially an LED that you push into the connector and it will pulse on and off when you are cranking if you are getting an injector signal.

Electronic Fuel Injection Test Light

Kevin

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Also, test to make sure you have spark since it is a different ECU, use a timing light or just pull a spark plug and ground it. Do you have the small wires running from the negative side to the chasis ground? Do you still have the little ground strap running from the plenum to the Valve/head cover?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Also ...

As part of checking the injectors (Noid light, mentioned above, would be helpful) double check the several grounds at the back of the right valve cover for a good contacts. While you are at it, also verify the AFM triggering the fuel pump. Good luck

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
after haveing things off I have noticed 2 things happen.
#1 The injectors dryout and get stuck
#2 after unpluging the injectors the plug goes back on an a different spot on the pin and if the pin had a lot of dirt/Oxide then it will not make a contact.

for #2 try spraying some wd40 on both side and plug unplug a few times.

for #1 you have to take the injectors out. and see if they spray if they do not use a small stick to push on the small still pin sticking out the bottom of the injector. it should push in but if it is kind stuck you will notice it pop. then it should be good after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts