Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a "exhaust" smell in the cabin when starting and running my 95 ls. I have checked for exhaust leaks and plugged a small one from a bad weld on the flex pipes (and they are less than 8 months old!) but still get a whiff. It may also be an issue with the egr system (or equivalent). Took off my front and rear plug covers... (and what sadist designed the rear cover/intake manifold system?) and am cleaning up any dirt and oil but I did notice that there is a nice layer of oily grunge inside the intake manifold and also the chrome pipes.
The plugs seem a bit dark/slick. Is the egr system in this car easy to diagnose? Due to the cost and availability of parts, I don;t want to just start changing things without being certain and removing the rear cover is something i don't want to do more than once a year.

Regards

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Try cleaning the oil vapor separator first. Black canister mounted behind the intake plenum. You'll find some good info with a search on that topic.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...and what sadist designed the rear cover/intake manifold system?..
Don't know who it was but what I do remember is that back in the 90's when these cars were being sold in the US if you walked onto a dealership floor where there was a 164 the hood was ALWAYS open :)

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I dont know much but did draw a correlation to when I redid my heater motor blower and had some work done with the hood off. We fattened up the seal that runs across the top of the false firewall. and reset all the sealing to the blower/heater box. Now I'm not saying my smell is gone from the car but, big but, I dont smell anything in the cabin anymore. I will say tho along with others, clean the OVS and it's piping. Somewhere on the forum is a thread I did where I cut one open and such that'll give you an idea of the hows and whats. ciao jc

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Exhaust smell like this can sometimes be traced to a bad cigarette seal on a spark plug, a drop of oil enters the hole, drops on a hot plug, and puff... stink. It can also be a drop of oil falling on a hot down pipe. Sometimes sticking in backer rod in the seal that runs across the false firewall helps seal out unpleasant smells. Spitfire is right too.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If you have the time and don't mind spending a few bucks, there's probably a lot of little improvements you could make while the plenum is off. Assuming things haven't been touched in a while. Check the condition of anything rubber in that area. All hoses, intake runner couplings, intake boot, fuel lines, etc. Check for rear valve cover leaks. I can't speak for what's involved with LS valve cover seals. Something about half moon seals.

I went into my 12V to torque the heads, and it snowballed into replacing a lot of this stuff since the parts were aged and easy to access with the plenum off.

Also for the OVS canister, I followed a forum trick to slot the bolt holes in the mounting bracket, and I changed the bolts to hex head. It'll be easier to remove next time with the plenum in place. I believe this also applies to the 24V.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
When you remove cannister to clean it out be advised there is a small drain hose on the bottom that can become clogged as well as the drain port(s) in the cannister and in the rear head.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts