Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ongoing uproar about the depleted levels of zinc and phosphorus in motor oil formulas has me concerned. There are several widely available engineering reports that indicate there are still formulations which contain the common benchmark figure of 1200ppm considered safe but most of these reports are 1 to 3 years old and most widely available oils seems to be lowering levels of ZDDP at a rapid rate. I recently noticed that Castrol Syntec 20/50w is advertised as having safe levels of this stuff. The website bills it as engineered safe for classics with flat tappet valvetrains. My sense is that the 20/50 synthetic Castrol is fairly new. I tried to get Castrol to quote the levels of ZDDP in this brew but they declined. Has anyone seen any objective testing of the content of this oil or its efficacy?

Thanks in Advance.....Albert

71 1750 GT Veloce
69 1750 Euro Spider

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
i was once told that diesel engine oil has the propper levels..as well as royal blue and there is a redline additive for it

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Penrite oils seem to be pretty good in that regard (see www.penrite.com.au). I like the look of HPR 10 or 15 for my V6.

Also, the 15w50 mobil one claims to be valvetrain friendly, but I have no data on zinc content.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Shell...

Yea Shell 10w40 is pretty awsome:eek: too Im currently using it now for the winter and let me tell you what a change engine performs great very very little knocking I thinking of using this oil year round because of the BIG BIG change in engine performance I was using Castrol HIGH MILEAGE but I never really got the feel from it my engine knocked when warm and didnt run as good as it runs now.. I think this oil is great for our cars.:)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I can't offer any formal testing data, but Castrol synthetic 20W-50 is what my long time Alfa mechanics put into all my Spiders (and everyone else's Spiders, unless they specifically ask for a different oil)... The pressure is excellent and the engines feel great.

Best regards,

·
Registered
403 Posts
One thing to note. The ZDDP is being removed from oils designed for street cars for emissions. The levels in the diesel oils are declining as well. Racing oils do not have to pass emissions standards and are more designed for engine protection than environment protection. The Valvoline VR-1 20w50 is a race oil that has good levels and is found at the local Autozone for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
One thing to note. The ZDDP is being removed from oils designed for street cars for emissions. The levels in the diesel oils are declining as well. Racing oils do not have to pass emissions standards and are more designed for engine protection than environment protection. The Valvoline VR-1 20w50 is a race oil that has good levels and is found at the local Autozone for a reasonable price.
But isn't the "issue" using race oils for the street that race oils do not contain the proper detergent levels?

·
Registered
403 Posts
But isn't the "issue" using race oils for the street that race oils do not contain the proper detergent levels?
I imagine that may be a problem for garage queens......I drive my street car and change the oil every 3000mi. I put quality fuels in it and keep it perfectly tuned and have no problems.

Simple off the shelf STP oil treatment in the red bottle has enough ZDDP for 5 qts of oil and the proper additional detergents included.

·
Super Moderator
11,385 Posts
Oil questions.

I have used 20-50 Valvoline racing oil in both my GTA engined Ausca Spider and Ferrari 275GTB for many years. This oil contains a dispersant, I believe, rather than a detergent. I first started using this one in a Hemi GTX. The Hemi would foam detergent oils on long runs, but not the Valvoline 20-50 Racing. Oils with detergents keep crud in suspension in the oil, running or not. With the Valvoline Racing, if the oil is dirty, and you let is sit, undisturbed for a while, the crud will settle out. For a daily driver, driven every day, the crud settling is not an issue with 3000 mile or more frequent changes.When it comes valve adjustment time, neither the GTA engine or Ferrari show any sludge build up under the valve covers. This has been my experience with this oil in these engines. I use Royal Blue in my high mileage Chrysler T&C, and BMW's very expensive 20-60 synthetic in my '02 BMW M-3. Hope this helps. :DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Simple off the shelf STP oil treatment in the red bottle has enough ZDDP for 5 qts of oil and the proper additional detergents included.

Any spec's available of what's actually in this stuff?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
.. i use shell rotella in my car, runs very quite hot or cold....i also get a kick out of watching the ford guys at my dearship drain all my oil, then i come up with 2 gallons and1 quart to fill my car...they look at me and say' are you shure? it's only a 4 cly'..:):)

·
Registered
439 Posts
The NEW Mobil 1

Due to popular demand, Mobil returned to its earlier, ZDDP enhanced formulation for its Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic. I recently rebuilt a 1300 cc motor while punching it out to 1400 cc using Centerline's Wiseco pistoned kit.

The motor ran dino oil for the first 300 miles, then Rotella Synthetic 15w40 (could have been 10w40) for about a month or so in winter (N Florida, so it's not very cold), and then converted to the NEW Mobil 1 15w50. During the break in, I ran the GM EOS additive for its anti-galling capabilities.

Oil was changed regularly, as well as the filter, at 5k km increments (3,125 mi).

I've now put about 20k km on the rebuilt motor, and if you might imagine, while I did consume about half a pint of oil on average, per tankful over the first 15k km, I did not consume any oil over the last 3 tankfuls of gas.

After the 4th tankful, having had the Nuova Super on the highway for an extended drive running at 120-140 kph, which was a steady 4500 rpm for several hours, intermixed with stop and go driving in the city, my oil was down about 3 oz.

Needless to say, I am pleased with what the NEW, reforumlated to the old configuration, Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic, with the GM EOS additive, has done for the little 1400.

Don't be afraid of synthetics. Rotella 10w40 synthetic and NEW Mobil 1 15w50 are great lubricants. I have higher oil consumption with Rotella than with Mobil, but both great lubricants.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:)Thanks Andy for the link. :eek:Holy smokes, a lot of Bathroom reading material.:cool:
:eek:an eye opener for sure. :(and I though Delo 400 was so great:eek:. Not no more:mad:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts