Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to use Mobil1 oil in my GTV6's and my 85 spider. I have noticed more tappet noise from the cams and a slightly lower oil pressure. I was thinking about going back to using Rotella oil again since it's not so pricey and my valves are not as noisy. Is there a problem with this?

thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Another oil thread? Really?

Check the other threads as there is a wealth of information regarding the blood of engines, specifically how it affects our Alfas. Tappet noise usually related to zinc/lack thereof content in oil. Viscosity is a completely different parameter. Read up :) search is your friend.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have started to use Mobil1 oil in my GTV6's and my 85 spider.

Which Mobil 1 weight are you using? The amount of Zinc varies based on the viscosity. See the following link. For flat tappet engine like ours, you want at least 1200 PPM.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Over the years in various engines, I have found that Mobile One tends to run noisier than other oils. In my Land Rover, Royal Purple does a good job in quieting down valvetrain noise. For my older Alfa, I used Brad Penn which is a high quality non-synthetic which keeps the engine happy.

Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oil

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zinhead,
Thanks for the response, looks like I'm running too low zinc level in my engine, 10/30. I should be using 15/50 with the higher zinc level, 1300 ppm, I guess this will quite my tappets down a little. What about switching back to Rotella oil, will my engine suffer from that?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,271 Posts
10W30? Well, that'll explain your lower oil pressure! That's way thin for the V6: my Milano specs 50wt.

For the record, if the cams are noisy because they're worn, using a different oil won't fix the problem, you need new cams and followers. The point of ZDDP in the oil is to prevent the cams from wearing in the first place, it can't fix 'em once they're worn.

Hopefully the noise you're hearing is just a side effect of the thinner oil and is not indicative of cam wear.

·
Registered
218 Posts
just a side note, during winter months, in my "other" flat tappet motor (real rampy high lift cam) I experimented with Rotella synth T6 in it and about jumped out of my skin upon first start up from the racket. Dumped it a week later and went back to 20W50 Brad Penn

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is an extensive discussion of the appropriate oil weight/viscosity, information about different oil brands and what ZDDP levels are needed for our flat tappet engines. There is also information about which oils contain ZDDP and whether they meet minimal ZDDP levels. There is also discussion of alternatives to ZDDP oils such as titanium and molbydenum oil formulations. It is about 4 pages long. Just search for "GTV6 oil weight (viscosity)." I hope this information is helpful.

·
Premium Member
16,444 Posts
I would say, just use Mobil 1 15W-50 synth or Valvoline VR1 20W-50 and forget about it. Get something else to worry about.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use Penrite, i dont think a synth for a standard engine would make any difference..?
But i cant honestly say that for i have never tried a synth oil. But i'm still using the same oil from when my engine was standard. Its Penrite 20-60, which has extra zinc. I'm religious when it comes to engine oil changes, every 3-4 months without fail. :)
Which reminds me, i havent changed the diff oil in like....over 10 years! Might do next week i think....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts