Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now and in the past I've had a bunch of flat tappet cars and read up on oil composition, zddp, dino vs synthetic, I won't drag us all thru that again.

I'm asking just about weight. I am in CT and will drive from approx freezing thru 90 deg summers but most often let's call it 40-80deg.

One answer is "read the owners manual" which tells us 10w-40 or 20w-50. I'm asking again here because oils change over time and even mfgr recommendations change. For instance Porsche now recommends 10w-60 for ALL its air cooled vehicles. I'm not here to say whether or not any of that is a good idea, just to ask if there is reason to think past either 10w40 or 20w-50 or if these cover the bases.

·
Richard Jemison
7,392 Posts
Well modern engines with closer tolerances and roller lifters can survive thinner oils. Down here I run nothing but 20-50 (non-syn) in the Alfas, as with flat lappets and the looser clearances need thicker oils.
This isn`t from something I`ve read or "believe" it`s from 50+ years of owning these things.

In the higher latitudes where it`s cold 8 months of the year (I can`t fathom living north of I-10) using a 10w60 makes some sense, IF you have the discipline to start the car and give it 5 minutes of idle to warm it up.

As always the decision is always what you think is appropriate...

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate that Richard. There are plenty of 20w50 formulations on the market and its what I'm using in the 911 so its 'in stock'.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I use 15-40 Diesel in all of my old cars, which is many!! It's the oldest version of oil with the max zinc, etc... It's slowly getting like the newer ICE oils but still lags by a bit. I buy what's on sale.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jon thats what I used in the '87 911 3.2 and presently have in the GTV. I mentioned this to the shop who rebuilt the heads for the 964 and his take was yes the ZDDP etc is there in the diesel oils but why not use an auto forumulation which sent me to VR1 20w50 dino. A tad more expensive than Rotella etc but not by much and widely available. On the 964 I'll eventually go to M1 20w50 flat tappet formula (dirt cheap) but not til I do a few changes with VR1 Dino and make sure rings are seated.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I don't buy synthetic for these low miles per year cars. I also use it in the diesel truck. 3 gallons per oil change....

The truck really likes the Traveller 15-40 from Tractor Supply. Mileage went up 2 mpg around town with this oil. It's the same ad valvoline diesel oil. Hadn't use the V oil yet in 170K miles as it's not usually on sale. Usually Shell and Mobil. As they are frequently on sale.

Definitely M1 in the 964.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts