Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the hoses to/from the oil/vapor separator on my '91 Spider. Based on threads here, they are NLA. Have not been able to find any from the usual vendors. Hiperformancestore.com sells replacement hoses for up to '89 models, but Greg there does not know if they will fit Motronic Spiders. So, does anyone know if these are available from anyone, and if not, does anyone know if those Greg sells for an up to '89 model will work on my Motonic? I do not have access to Alfa part numbes, so cannot tell if these changed with the changeover to Motronic. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Advanceautoparts and go buy hoses by foot.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Alfa relocated the oil separator on the Motronic Spiders (a foot or so forward) so I guess a hose kit made for the Jetronic cars would not work unless the hoses are longer than they have to be and you can cut them.

So, does anyone know if these are available from anyone, and if not, does anyone know if those Greg sells for an up to '89 model will work on my Motonic? I do not have access to Alfa part numbes, so cannot tell if these changed with the changeover to Motronic. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kit works on the S4

I spoke with Grag and he said the up to '89 kit would work. I ordered and it worked fine. Actually, it includes too much hose so I just shortened them. On my '91, the oil return line goes to the passenger side of the block, not around to the driver's side, so that line was MUCH shorter. Glad I replaced it, as the original return line was split at the very bottom and leaking oil. The other two lines, from the cam cover and to the intake, both also had to be shortened, especially the one from the cam cover. The hoses look nice, fabric covered. They do not look original, but since the original smooth molded ones are not available, these are an excellent substitute. Thanks to hiperformancestore.com for making them available!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I spoke with Grag and he said the up to '89 kit would work. I ordered and it worked fine. Actually, it includes too much hose so I just shortened them. On my '91, the oil return line goes to the passenger side of the block, not around to the driver's side, so that line was MUCH shorter. Glad I replaced it, as the original return line was split at the very bottom and leaking oil. The other two lines, from the cam cover and to the intake, both also had to be shortened, especially the one from the cam cover. The hoses look nice, fabric covered. They do not look original, but since the original smooth molded ones are not available, these are an excellent substitute. Thanks to hiperformancestore.com for making them available!
Thank you for posting this! I was wondering if they would work, but didn't try to find out on a "expensive" kit such as that one.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I like the Greg Gordon kit, I actually just bought the vacuum hose kit from him and it is good quality stuff.

The large upper hose from my OVS just cracked and I need to replace it. The bottom hose seems okay, so I don't see a need to spend $70+ on another kit. Can I just buy some rated hose by the foot? I just dropped about $1000+ worth of parts/delayed love into my 88 spider and I can't really afford much more at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I like the Greg Gordon kit, I actually just bought the vacuum hose kit from him and it is good quality stuff.

The large upper hose from my OVS just cracked and I need to replace it. The bottom hose seems okay, so I don't see a need to spend $70+ on another kit. Can I just buy some rated hose by the foot? I just dropped about $1000+ worth of parts/delayed love into my 88 spider and I can't really afford much more at the moment.
I found some 3/4-in petroleum-rated hose sold by the foot at O'Reilly Auto. It's kind of a funky reddish-pink color, but it gets the job done.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
That's a great idea. i actually like the red, matches your paint! Thanks! And you're talking about 3/4" inner diameter?
Yes, 3/4-in ID. The boys at O'Reilly didn't know that they had this hose, but they let me in the back to look at everything they had, and I found this one.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Rich,

As you are no doubt aware, that pink tubing is going to lose points for you at Pebble Beach :).

All the best.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Rich,

As you are no doubt aware, that pink tubing is going to lose points for you at Pebble Beach :).

All the best.
Yeah, I'm hoping they are so focused on the hose, they won't notice the peeling overspray, the bondo-covered front spoiler, and my use of the wife's roasting skewer shaped to replace the door-handle spring. :wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts