Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Çan anyone with an oil temp gauge tell me how long you need to drive before oil temp starts to show on the gauge.
Mine seems to take forever but I can't see anything wrong with the set up.
I have the sensor fitted in a sandwich plate between block and oil filter

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Oil temp gauges.....hmmm .....probably not a real important indicator of what is going on in your engine. The early Giuliettas had them but they were meaningless.. worked or no work.. Perhaps best described.. two anatomical body temp checks.. Oral and anal .. Always slower to give a reading.. If your oil temp was high .. your car has long been overheated. I wouldn't worry about it other than it is a knee slapper..." isn't this cool" accessory unlless you are running LeMans

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil temp and pressure are the lifeblood of the engine why would you not want to know? I'm not using OEM gauge for this but I'm surprised how long before the needle starts to move, just wanted to know if this is normal

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,618 Posts
It does take a while. Several minutes of driving after the water comes up to temperature, at least.

You can tell when the oil's warmed up because the oil pressure will start dropping significantly at idle.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I'll end my comment with this......Oil Pressure and Oil Temp are not equally the lifeblood of an engine. If they were, the oil temp at ambient would mean you never start the engine. I be out and unfollowed

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Generally, I have found that a non-oil cooled 105/115 engine takes about 5 miles of driving to get to 175 Fahrenheit or 80 Celsius ... can be much longer if the weather is cold or you got an oil cooler on it.

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
In my experience it varies greatly depending on oil type, etc. My Giulietta Veloce with 20/50 doesn't even move the gauge for 10 minutes, and probably takes 25 to get up to the water temp. My wife's E90 M3 shows 210F oil temp within like 10 minutes (4.0 V8 with 10/60 synthetic). This is in coastal Calif.
Andrew

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll end my comment with this......Oil Pressure and Oil Temp are not equally the lifeblood of an engine. If they were, the oil temp at ambient would mean you never start the engine. I be out and unfollowed
Your missing the point, I don't drive any car hard until oil is up to normal running temp and if it starts to go hot I calm it down, if it gets very hot something is wrong, it's just peace of mind

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
In normal driving oil temp should approx reflect water temp. In hard driving both will go up but usually oil a lot more, depending on coolers, etc. 260F is where the red zone starts in most air-cooled piston aircraft engines, all of which use regular, not synthetic oil.
Andrew

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes oil starts to break down around 260 F.
On my old 1600 I could drive along at 70+ mph with rock steady water temp but oil would slowly climb with no sign of it stopping, I would just slow down a little and it would settle down again, never found the reason and if I had kept that engine I would have fitted a cooler.
Why I started this was to see if I had mounted the sensor wrong and I was not getting a realistic reading but it seems like I'm in the ballpark with around 15 mins normal driving before the needle starts to move.
Thanks for all the feedback it's useful to get info back from other owners especially at the moment with limited contact

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
Well, folklore says the reason alfa didn't include oil temp gauges in the first 105 cars was all the complaints from the 101 cars. My Giulietta's is higher than I'd like but I've also never calibrated it so reading is in no way certified correct.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
Not sure where you are but you would have to drive pretty hard under a lot of load (above 90mph) for the oil temp to get overly hot in Febuary. Totally different on a 100 degree summer run down the interstate.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mainly drive in summer with a few track days if I can fit them in, it's just peace of mind if I'm good on water and oil temp and the pressure is good I'm happy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts