Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed the new built 2ltr engine takes a long time for the oil temp to rise and it's only getting to 80 degree C where the old 1600 engine always ran at 100+ degre it's the same gauge and sender only difference is it's in a sandwich adapter plate where as it screwed direct in the block on the 1600

Is 80 degree normal or do I need to do something

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
The key piece of data you haven't given us is what the water temperature gauge reads. On my Sprint, the water and oil temperatures pretty much track - yes, the oil temp climbs a bit more slowly but after ~15 minutes of running, they're 1:1.

So unless your water temperature is also 80 degree C, I'd say that the different position of the oil temp. sender accounts for the lower reading.

What's a "sandwich adapter plate"? Something between the spin-on filter and the front cover? I suppose if the sender is measuring oil returning from the filter to the engine, it would be cooler, as the filter probably acts as an oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Another reason maybe a different water thermostat - 2000 usually run a hotter thermostat than the old screw-in 1900 one ...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
But re-reading your post it is the other way around ... my 1600's always ran at 80 degrees celsius for oil on regular easy driving, as did my 2000.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, water is 90 degree, yes the sandwich plate sits between filter and engine it's where the pressure and temperature senders screw in
Just seems slower to get up to temp and lower than it was on the old engine

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
My oil temp sensor is in the same place as yours and it always reads lower than the coolant temperature, even after an hour of spirited driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you remember where you got your sandwich plate? Did you fit a water sensor in it? I’ve had a similar plan to you as mine as it’s a step front with a modern block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I’ve had a similar plan to you as mine as it’s a step front with a modern block.
I have a '66 Stepnose with a 2L engine. I had my machinist re-tap the port for the oil pressure warning light to accommodate the oil temp sensor. That's the one on the exhaust side, just behind the alternator. When located there, oil temperature pretty much tracks water temperature.

But if you aren't doing a complete engine rebuild, re-tapping that port clearly isn't an option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts