Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thoughts welcome....I'm installing an oil temp sender and want some thoughts on locating the sender. I dont want to drill any holes in the oil pan. The engine is a 1600 dual carb 1989 in a 75. Nothing fancy, just electronic ignition and thats it. I thought I'd tap the oil drain plug to receive the sender. I'm not overly concerned about hitting it as it's fairly high but it has crossed my mind as less than ideal. Next, I have a port for the oil pressure light on the driver side of the block and can tap into it here with minimal mods to anything. I can live without the idiot light as I monitor my pressure with the guage and am comfortable with its function. My question is if I go this route, am I getting a reliable reading of oil temperature. Not too worried about accuracy to the ninth degree just being able to establish whats base and if something goes wonky. Some pics:

I'm thinking the sender within the probe will be in sufficient contact with oil to give me readings in line with what I'm looking for. What do you think? thanx, ciao chris

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi! I drilled and tapped a hole in the slanted back of my Alfetta thick aluminum oil pan for my oil temp sender and this has worked out fine with no oil leaks etc. I placed the sender in this location because I did not think of placing it at the oil pressure light sender location which seems an excellent idea. I don't know what the temperature difference would be between the two choices but I agree that what we are looking for is a baseline temp to compare with running the car at high speed on a hot day. I doubt that the oil temp between the two locations would differ by that much but maybe other BB members could shed light. Ciao, Dennie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts