Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool; I get the honours of opening up this new baby!

Great initiative to launch a seperate forum for all things sedan! Thank you!

My question: (which is actually Giulia related, but hey...)

I noticed on some engine photographs, that with the old (hanging) oilfilter type, on some cars, there is an electrical wire going to the aluminium head of the hanging oilfilter unit. looks like on some cars, a sending unit is located here.

My question: is this the sending unit for an oil temperature gauge?
If so, then it would be no biggy for me to remove the bolt that is located at this location on my Giulia 13OOTI, and replace it with a suitable oiltemperature sending unit. thrue or false?

regards,

Robin (on a mission from god)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
On my '71 1750 Spider, which has the canister type oil filter, there is no oil temperature unit. There are two oil pressure senders, one for the gauge (located on the intake side of the engine) and one for the warning light (at the filter housing).

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I believe you're right about the temp sender. My Duetto has an oil temp gauge that the original owner added. At least it did until I broke the gauge (long story that involves removal of heater box). The wire from that gauge goes to a sending unit at the oil filter.

Somewhere I have a wiring diagram the original owner (I'm #3) marked with his various mods including a volt and ammeter. I'll try to dig it up and make sure I'm not leading you up the garden path.

Alex

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response...

Well, it looked like a nice place to put a sender unit, so i'll probably install it in the near future...(should look ok) no just to find the right sender unit...

·
Premium Member
24,163 Posts
oil temp

As far as I know, no 105/115 cars had oil temp senders or gauges from the factory. I think the Giulietta was the last to have it. Not that it couldn't be added by an owner.

Andrew Watry

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I never saw one factory fitted, and I've had lots!
I just finished up a Rally Super and fitted the sender on the block, under the exhaust manifold. There was a plugged up hole there, so why not? just make sure the sender is not too long.
O, and Hi, Andrew...
berlinista

·
Registered
532 Posts
Early 105 GT's had an oil temp gauge. The sender is the same as the one for the water temp. Never saw that gauge on a Spider or Berlina, though. Maybe it was on the GT's because they were the 105's most often used in competition? I had a '67 GTV many years ago, and I was quite surprised how long it took to get the oil temp into its normal range. During the Summers in New England, it took at least 15 minutes of normal street driving to see the oil temp near 200F.

Dean

·
Registered
273 Posts
Somewhere on this site should be a photo of a GT/GTV dash that shows the gauge cluster with the oil temp guage. If I remember correctly from my old GTV, it was lower right, next to the speedo.

Like Dean, I remember how long it took for the oil to come up after the water had hit 170 degrees or so.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Blu Hollandese said:
My question: is this the sending unit for an oil temperature gauge?
...and replace it with a suitable oiltemperature sending unit. thrue or false?
The short answers are;

yes and no
true

The yes part is that this is the temp sender location for cars so equipped (otherwise it had a screw plug). No in that 1750s have a pressure switch here that turns the low oil pressure light on/off.

Basically, for early 60s to late 60s 105 cars, Sedans and the Duetto do not have oil temp gauges while the Giulia Spider and the pre-1750 Bertones do. The early oil filter housings on all these cars have two threaded fittings; 10mm x 1.0mm for an oil pressure sender and 16mm x 1.5mm for a temp sender. Whether they were used or not depended on the model. In addition, for the TI, TI Super and Supers with an oil cooler option, both these fittings were plugged. Later housings, from about 1966/67, have only the 16 x 1.5 fitting as Alfa moved the oil pressure sender to the right rear of the block.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@all: thanks for the input!

@Papajam, what do you NOT know about these cars??? thanks for the info.
Can you also confirm that the partnumber for the oiltemp sender is the same as the watertemp sender, like dwc stated? If so, then fitting one would be a piece of cake, just buy a new watertemp sender and screw it in!

next part, find a nice vintage looking oiltempgauge to fit under the dash...and connect...

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Blu Hollandese said:
@Papajam, what do you NOT know about these cars???
Plenty! I confess that some of my posts are researched. ;)

dwc nailed it on the coolant and oil temp senders; they're the same.
105.00.06.322.00 for Borletti gauges
105.00.06.322.01 for Jaeger gauges

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the confirmation! Handy to know I can use the same sender unit!

all I need to find now is a nice vintage gauge (prefarably italian)...

YUMMY!! :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
gauges

Yes gentleman it is true! The early 105 GT's have a oil temp gauge. Just happens to be right out there in the garage. Oil temp usually is about 10-15mi before normal. When I switched to 2litre I found the sender wouldn't adapt so I now use the gauge as a secondary oil pressure gauge till I find another hole to stick the sender in, Joe

·
Administrator
4,449 Posts
My '68 & '69 GT 1300 Juniors both have temperature gauges off that hanging oil filters - both are CKD right hand drive cars that were assembled out here at the Rosslyn plant - the only factory outside Italy to build Alfa's in the '60's, 70's & 80's.

A word of warning on swapping Jaeger & Veglia, (Borletti), gauges, a friend needed another sender in his '70 1300 GT J - same dash as 1750 GTV & when we used an old one I had from a Veglia equipped car, it pegged the oil pressure gauge at the top, much scratching produced as Jaeger compatible one, which sorted the electrics out.

I'm not that clued up on the why & why nots of these things, suffice to say that I'm now careful to store matching gauges & sender units together.

Blu - the '70 to '74 1300 & 1600 GT Juniors had a small 2 gauge console hanging from the middle of the dash, I seem to recall that one was water temp and the other oil temp ??

Cheers
Greig

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@alfistiSA: Very interesting remark you make there on the sender units and there compatibilty with Jaeger/Veglia gauges. Indeed,I am experiencing the same problem with my oil pressure gauge, old Veglia sender was thought to be faulty, ordered a new one at a A.R. parts supplier, fitted nicely, but problem remains...needle pegged at full max...this weekend, i'm gonna work out if it is a case of a faulty gauge in the dash or not...I pray I won't have to remove the dash gauge... :eek:

So indeed, the senders gauges are certainly not always interchangeable...

As for those oiltemp senders in early Giulia coupés, you are right! Not so long ago, one popped up on Ebay: a small 2 gauge console for an early coupé..didn't buy it cause I don't wanna destroy such an original item to obtain a "correct" oiltemp gauge...I'll have to keep on looking to find a seperate one... anybody got some inspiration? Vintage style obliged! ;)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The original owner of my Duetto hung a cluster of three gauges under the dash--an ammeter, a voltmeter, and an oil temperature gauge. The box was ugly and passengers were constantly hitting their knees on it, so I took it out. I removed the oil temp gauge (a Smiths) and mounted it individually under the dash in a more out of the way spot.

However, dwc's remark that the oil and water temperature senders are the same has given me an idea. I think I'm going to try to wire a switch that will allow me to choose which temperature sending unit--oil or water--the water temperature gauge is grounded to. Thus, depending on the position of the switch the "water temperature" gauge will show either oil or water temperature. It sounds simple enough in my head, so over the winter (since I'm rebuilding the engine anyway :-/ I may as well try it. It should be an invisible modification.

Blu Hollandese said:
@alfistiSA: Very interesting remark you make there on the sender units and there compatibilty with Jaeger/Veglia gauges. Indeed,I am experiencing the same problem with my oil pressure gauge, old Veglia sender was thought to be faulty, ordered a new one at a A.R. parts supplier, fitted nicely, but problem remains...needle pegged at full max...this weekend, i'm gonna work out if it is a case of a faulty gauge in the dash or not...I pray I won't have to remove the dash gauge... :eek:

So indeed, the senders gauges are certainly not always interchangeable...

As for those oiltemp senders in early Giulia coupés, you are right! Not so long ago, one popped up on Ebay: a small 2 gauge console for an early coupé..didn't buy it cause I don't wanna destroy such an original item to obtain a "correct" oiltemp gauge...I'll have to keep on looking to find a seperate one... anybody got some inspiration? Vintage style obliged! ;)

·
Administrator
4,449 Posts
Blu - if the old sender & new sender do the same thing, check if a previous owner has not perhaps swapped out sender units in the past & maybe put a Jaeger unit on the car & that is what the Parts place ordered you.

Did they pull the number off the old unit to order you another one or did they order a Veglia unit out of a catalogue - if they pulled the number off the old unit, chances are they may have "built" the fault back into your car ??

Groeten
Greig

1 - 19 of 19 Posts