Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 2000 Touring Spider from January 1959
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Can someone explain to me the logic of the oil sump gaskets for 102 Spiders? I have attached an example that I copy-pasted from OKP, but others appear the same. On the long sites there are series of holes that nicely align the bolts fixing the sump to the engine. On the short sides there are either four holes or four u-shapes cut-out. My engine has four bolts in the front, but the back (bordering the flywheel) has only two holes. These holes are for bolts that hold a metal strip pushing the middle part of the sump tight to the engine when fastened. Do I have a special engine that lacks two holes in the back?

If not, what is the function of the U-shapes? Why the extra holes/U-shapes for the back? How is the gasket oriented (holes or U-shapes in the front?)?

The construction seems to me extremely prone to leaking in the places with the extra holes/U-shapes. Are there any special tricks that people use, such as liquid seals?

Gr., Pieter

·
Push hard and live
10,180 Posts
I believe this is a recent, and possibly ill-considered, change.

The CI 2000 engine has only two holes at the rear, with the curved spreader-bar intended to reduce the leakage at the rear. I have a vague memory that the 1900 has a different oil sump which better allows access to this area, thus four bolts, the better to slow down the leakage. Others can confirm or correct my memory.

If so, this new design would be an effort by manufacturers to consolidate two parts into one, probably increasing the leakage at the rear of the already-challenged 2000.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don,

Can you remember the orientation of the seal wrt where the holes and U-shaped sides of the gasket go with respect to the front and rear of the engine? In a first attempt, I have put it with the U-shapes in the rear, dry without any oil or fluid seal. The engine oil is poring out when the engine is running, exactly where the two middle U-shape cut-outs are.

Gr., Pieter

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here is a oil pan gasket I just received from ClassicAlfa. It looks like someone put 2 extra holes on the rear. Get them to send you a good one..Mark
20200922_115004.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mark,
That is what I am looking for! .....and I can conclude simultaneously that the U-shapes should be in the front. That’s the good news. The bad news is that I have to get the oil pan off again. Do you use any liquid sealing with the gasket? Or soak it in oil first?
Gr., Pieter

·
Registered
248 Posts
For the gasket I use the old style black tacky non silicone sealant. Just a light coat is good on both sides. The silicone stuff is a pain to remove. It shouldn't be torqued to much to deform the gasket. I set up bottle jacks on either side of the block and attached some thick metal tabs extending out from side pan holes once the pan dropped a little. This seems to work well and lift the engine enough for the pan to slip out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts