Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know where the two small hose fittings on the oil vapour separator go?
The large ones I know.

Small hose fitting number one is brazed to the large hose elbow at the very bottom
Small hose fitting number two is brazed to the body of the separator.

Can someone please clarify where each of these go?

Thanks
My 79 series two has had the Spica removed and Webers installed.

·
Administrator
17,507 Posts
Assuming it is similar to the L-jetronic Spider's OVS, the upper small fitting on the OVS's body sends vapors into the intake to be burned, the lower small hose on the elbow is for oil to drain back to the sump (via a fitting at the base of the dipstick on the early L-jet Spiders).

·
Registered
19 Posts
My shop manual has the same figure, but the long hose in my 89 does not go to the dipstick but feeds to a fitting on the passenger side of the block, about midway between the distributor and the passenger-side motor mount.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric
My 79 was routed opposite to what you say. Well....the fitting that is brazed to the body of the canister was routed to my dipstick.
The fitting brazed to the elbow currently has nothing attached to it. trying to fix that

I went on and read the info on your link for L-Jet diagnostics. Very good info.
It mentions
"Most likely to plug up is the small diameter hose that exits the bottom of the separator and leads to the base of the dip stick tube."

Mine was plugged.

Is this opposite to what your wrote or am I mistaken?
Thanks again

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray
when you say long hose...is that attached to the fitting on the canister or the fitting on the lower elbow?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
The fitting on the elbow goes to the idle air manifold on SPICA, probably doesn't matter with carbs. The fitting on the body is the oil drain to the sump (dipstick)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please see the attached figure. The coiled hose will be attached to the intake port on passenger-side engine block; the other canister hose goes to the cam cover.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
The small hose that is Tee'd off the elbow is there because when the throttle or throttles are closed (regardless of whether SPICA, Carbs or Bosch) there would be no positive crankcase venting. The small line connects to a point that is on the opposite side of the throttles so that at idle or closed throttle deceleration there is an alternate path. It's smaller because manifold vacuum is much higher when the throttles are closed.

The small line that comes off the bottom of the canister is the drain line to the dipstick.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
kcabpilot is correct on both hose routing and in theory of operation; the small lower hose is manifold vacuum, small upper hose is oil return to crankcase (to the dipstick up thru mid-1988, right side engine block mid-1988 and up).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the great information.
Do i need manifold vacuum? Current set up is not using it at all. I am assuming i need vacuum to recover vapour.
Is there a manifold fitting hiding somewhere remembering i no longer have Spica installed?

I also notice i have what appears to be a some type of port on the block. Passenger side just behind the distributor. Looks like it has a check valve in it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Note to Papajam:
Return to crankcase, not dipstick, was the norm on the 87 Spider...most likely the change was effective in 86.
Will we see you in Lexington Jim...will save some Canadian Beer..
Elio

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great information.
Do i need manifold vacuum? Current set up is not using it at all. I am assuming i need vacuum to recover vapour.
Is there a manifold fitting hiding somewhere remembering i no longer have Spica installed?
Not really, this is basically an emissions control device and even with carbs the idle air still gets pulled through the air filter so you would still have some positive flow - although not as effective. There probably is a fitting on your manifold somewhere but I'm not familiar with the conversion kits so can't say for sure.

In reality you could just run an open hose down and let it vent externally but if every car did that we'd have air quality like Beijing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to Beijing! This is what the PO had done. The large lower hose just routes down and vents to the ground. I am going to rig up some catchment bottle for this hose.
If the small fitting is not needed then i will just cap it off
Thanks all

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Note to Papajam:
Return to crankcase, not dipstick, was the norm on the 87 Spider...most likely the change was effective in 86.
Will we see you in Lexington Jim...will save some Canadian Beer..
Elio
14 Oct 86 was the date Alfa switched from dipstick to crankcase oil return. Having written that info in a post three years ago I would have expected I'd remember it. :rolleyes: Thanks for the correction, Elio!

See you Friday. :)

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
This is what the PO had done. The large lower hose just routes down and vents to the ground. I am going to rig up some catchment bottle for this hose.
If the small fitting is not needed then i will just cap it off
Thanks all
In that case just discard the entire contraption, all you need is a hose from the cam cover routed down to sum level. No need for a catch basin there really isn't going to be that much oil coming out. You will, obviously use a bit more so keep an eye on the level between changes. I doubt that one Alfa with a bypassed PCV system will deteriorate the air quality of Brantford much.

If there is a port on the intake manifold I'd think about finding it and capping it though as it is a minor intake leak if it's not hooked up or plugged.

BTW - as a child I grew up in Cookstown, due north of Toronto about half way to Barrie.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Hi all,

I can't seem to find the crankcase fitting to connect the hose from the oil separator for my 88 spider. Does anyone have a pic, schematic or sketch?

Thanks in advance
If it's like my '91 you will find it on the passenger side, bottom.

Here is a picture. You can see the small black hose in the bottom left of the picture connected to crank case.

Hope it helps.

Good luck,

Vin

IMG_6946.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts