Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have to replace the (Righf Rear) side of engine block Oil sending unit that affects the gauge? Seems impossible to get to. If ANY ONE that has done it and can advise how to would be greatly appreciated, 1987 Alfa Spider 2000L
I have the part # for the sender, and want to yr to instal myself.
thanks,
MM

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
It can be done. You might want to move a couple of vacuum hoses out of the way and remove the windshield-washer bottle to give you easier access. As I recall, you need a thin wrench (maybe 14mm?) to loosen the sender. I bought a bicycle wrench for this application.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be done. You might want to move a couple of vacuum hoses out of the way and remove the windshield-washer bottle to give you easier access. As I recall, you need a thin wrench (maybe 14mm?) to loosen the sender. I bought a bicycle wrench for this application.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yes, you'll need a short thin wrench as mentioned. The size could be either 14mm or 17mm on the old and new sender. Bike wrenches work great, just break it in half.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... ok, so you can actually access it from top side? I don’t have a Lyft anymore, and mechanic want crazy $$ to do it. So I was wondering if if can be done DIY style. Just wanted to hear from someone who has done it. So thanks god the Yip. And again, I can access it top side if you recall?
thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Note: those wrenches are called "cone" wrenches. Their use has declined with sealed bearing and large axle hubs but most bike shops still carry them for old or cheap hubs. Still in demand for us folks that like vintage bikes. Same to cut a Park Tool wrench in two like 6alfas did, but OTOH it is the best...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will Bicycle shops sell those wrenches or can I purchase them at a local Store like Harbor freight or a tool store if you know. I’m deter yo tackle it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Most bike shops should have them. Hopefully they're open during the CV deal. I bought mine from Performance when they still had retail outlets. Some of the cone wrenches will cover both 14mm and 17mm sizes which is a big plus.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I’m going to call some shops tomorrow, also I have a local neigh site called Next Door, I put a wanted ad to see maybe someone who was, or is heavy into bicycle’s has them laying around. Worse comes to worse. I’ll check with machine shop, maybe make me one? I’ll find a away. Thank everybody for the insight, Forum like this is awesome god the shade tree guy as well car car Nuts? ! Love it!
MM

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Administrator
17,055 Posts
Does anyone know the exact size wrench needed for that right side sending unit?
As previously noted, it will either be a 14mm or 17mm hex behind the sender. And the new one will probably be the other size... It usually does not take a lot of force to get it loosened. Once it moves about 1/2 turn you won't need the wrench - it'll come off the rest of the way by hand.

·
Administrator
17,055 Posts
I've been able to get them off/on with a thin wrench. But if you can't locate a bicycle wrench (due to this lockdown) I'd suggest getting a piece of 1/8" thick steel (maybe even aluminum) and make yourself a short, thin wrench (just trace the shape onto the metal and cut off everything that doesn't look like a wrench).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been able to get them off/on with a thin wrench. But if you can't locate a bicycle wrench (due to this lockdown) I'd suggest getting a piece of 1/8" thick steel (maybe even aluminum) and make yourself a short, thin wrench (just trace the shape onto the metal and cut off everything that doesn't look like a wrench).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts