Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I drain oil if level is reading a healthy 1/8 inch over "MAX"? Should I not drive the car?
Would I drain oil using the plug in the oil pan?
Any guesses as to how much oil to drain?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
1/8" over I wouldn't worry about. It may spit a little more than normal out the breather, or not. You know how much oil was put in?
Andrew

·
Registered
216 Posts
Should I drain oil if level is reading a healthy 1/8 inch over "MAX"?
When did you check the oil? Hot, cold? It almost sounds like you changed the oil and filter, but checked the oil prior to running the engine.

I don't think slightly over filled will negatively effect the engine. If you feel the need to remove oil from the engine, start by emptying the oil from filter first. Its easy and nets predictable results.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Figure out why ....... check at incorrect time like mentioned above ... just did an oil change and put in too much? If not that then what, oil doesn't grow. Any signs of contamination .. like antifreeze?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Much ado

Thanks for all of your advice and comments. Oil was cold with no signs of contamination.

It was the first oil change after the engine was rebuilt. Was drained well but a bit too much oil probably got put in.

My mechanic said to drive and so I will. The experience does put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Enjoy your Super. Your mechanic has probably told you this, but in case he didn't, it's useful to know that Alfas like 20-50 oil with high ZDDP concentrations. The reason for this is that Alfa engines, wonderful thought they are, are old designs with wider clearances than new engines. On hard runs on hot days, the 20-50 oils really come into their own. ZDDP is a anti-wear additive that has been reduced in modern oils but is still produced in some specific oils oriented toward old engines. I like Valvolene Racing VR1 oil. There are others, however. If you're not sure what's in your car, go by Pep Boys and buy a can of Rislone ZDDP adaptive in put it in. It won't hurt anything if your oil already has a higher ratio of ZDDP so you'll be good to go either way. There is some debate whether or not old Alfas need ZDDP. I think it's good, cheap, insurance if you want to extend the life or your engine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
From experience years ago, I would not use "racing oil". It does not have the detergents that normal "street" oil has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts