Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with making the check ball-style modification to the bypass valve in 2-liter oil pumps to prevent the infamous ol' alfa stuck bypass piston syndrome? If so, what size ball did you use, and how did you set up the bypass pressure? Also. has anyone made their own pickup tube inlet screen? Any reason not to do it on a street motor? TIA.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Jim Steck sells a modified pump with ball check valve and large screen pick up. You can buy it complete or send yours & he'll modify it for you. Later pumps have larger gears. His work is a piece of art.
Ed

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I just installed one of Jim's pumps today for my new 2L that I'm building. I was going to take it apart to inspect the modification but it was wire tied so beautifully I didn't want to mess with it. I bought the windage tray from Jim too. Went into a motor that I'm using Spruell's 85mm pistons and liners, Carrillo rods, aluminum flywheel and alum Porsche pressure plate, everything balanced and topping off with a fully ported big valve head from Steve Hanniford. The motor will mate to a 2L tranny with modified gears, drilled and back cut. Can't wait to finnish and install. I still have some more modifications to do to the car, it's going into a '67 GTV so I have to change the pedal assembly. Maybe in another month or two it will be finished. Pete.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts