Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can any one post a pic are let me know where the oil pressure sensor light switch should be on a 1750 engine... spider? I have the wire with the spade connection but no where to connect it too?

I was told it should be on the oil filter body?

Any help?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
Can any one post a pic are let me know where the oil pressure sensor light switch should be on a 1750 engine... I was told it should be on the oil filter body?
You were told correctly. What caused you to not accept that answer?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Pic nabbed from Dickson showing it on a 2 liter:

Sender can be seen just aft of the dipstick tube.
Yours wouldn't have the right angle adapter on it, (its an S4 thing), but the location is otherwise the same.

Or am I grossly mistaken and the sender is radically closer to or outright on the filter mount on the 1750's?

·
Premium Member
23,455 Posts
On a 1750 I believe it's on the canister filter mount, just in front of the motor mount.
Andrew

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting the pic... Mine is definately not in that position:confused:

Pic nabbed from Dickson showing it on a 2 liter:

Sender can be seen just aft of the dipstick tube.
Yours wouldn't have the right angle adapter on it, (its an S4 thing), but the location is otherwise the same.

Or am I grossly mistaken and the sender is radically closer to or outright on the filter mount on the 1750's?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
So then it's prolly like this here in the pic supplied by 1750GTV105.44:

Roughly 4 o'clock on the oil filter housing adapter.
(its kinda hanging over the rubber of the engine mount)

EDIT
Zoomed up a section of the above and circled the sender.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Andrew

Its definately not on the filter mount so I am assuming that it is missing? But not knowing what it looks like I am stumped!:eek:

On a 1750 I believe it's on the canister filter mount, just in front of the motor mount.
Andrew

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Maybe someone removed the leaking switch and put a plug in the hole?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys

Thanks for the help, I will take a closer look today and try and take a few pics. My oil filter looks like it screws directly into the side of the engine block? or there may be a very shallow adaptor but nothing like on the last pic?

Thanks

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,107 Posts
Are you sure you have a 1750, sounds like a 2000-the 1750 is as tifosi posted on the oil filter housing.I think that the 2000 has a screw in type filter thats sits on the side of the block

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi

Its definately a 1750.... Looks like they changed the set up after 69 and mine is similar to the 2000. However on close inspection it looks like the hole has been blocked up! It's quite difficult to see on the block!

Further investigation required!

Thanks for every ones help!!!

Heres the 2l with the filter on the side...

·
16,232 Posts
Its definately a 1750.... Looks like they changed the set up after 69 and mine is similar to the 2000.
Sounds like it's a 1.8 then. This engine has the same displacement as the 1750 (1779cc) but unlike the 1750, the 1.8 block has no provision for a filter canister since the different front cover provides for a screw on oil filter. Can you post the engine type number? In either case, the oil pressure switch will be on the left side of the block.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi

L0194 is the engine number

I think the cc is 1779, so yes your right about the engine.

Sounds like it's a 1.8 then. This engine has the same displacement as the 1750 (1779cc) but unlike the 1750, the 1.8 block has no provision for a filter canister since the different front cover provides for a screw on oil filter. Can you post the engine type number? In either case, the oil pressure switch will be on the left side of the block.

·
16,232 Posts
L0194 is the engine number
This appears to be the engines sequential serial number, not the engine type number. The type number will precede the serial number and start with the letters 'AR'. The 1750s were assigned type number 00548. An example of a 1.8 type number would be 01678.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I agree with PJ. Looks like your car has been fitted with a 1.8 engine (confusingly they're exactly the same 1779cc capacity as the "1750").

It wouldn't have left the factory with this engine in it, it's probably been swapped in from a 70's Alfetta or 80's Giulietta.

Another clue is that the Alfetta versions have a sender in the top of the cylinder head (between sparkplugs 3 and 4) that runs the "overheating" warning light that Alfettas have but Spiders don't. Maybe yours has this too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts