Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it was all going so well...

Still might be, depending on your coaching here guys. No pressure then - ha!

Discovered that gray lead going to my oil pressure sensor on the driver's side of the lower block (on my 2000 Berlina) was disconnected. I'd have expected that would throw the warning light, but it hasn't, and that might just be my familiarity with other old cars talking. What should I expect to see if the wire isn't connected.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
1. the light doesn't come on with key on engine off
2. light is on all the time if wire connector is touching ground
3. light flashes intermittently as wire connector intermittently touches ground
4. if #1 and the oil pressure gauge doesn't work, a possible seized engine

·
Premium Member
14,683 Posts
No wire, no light. The switch contacts close at low pressure. Touch the wire to ground and the light should turn on.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - keep your fingers crossed for me please that the light stays off when connected!

·
Super Moderator
11,243 Posts
As long as your gauge shows pressure, you have nothing to worry about. You might want to squeeze the connector a bit with pliers before reinstalling it, just to make sure it grips tightly. That wire/connector tends to get knocked off when the oil filter is changed, or just from the engine rocking. Probably not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jay - I wire brushed the corrosion off the sensor and wire and then check that it worked by ground in the lead out, and it does. Red warning light comes on when grounded, so now I just have to go get her good and hot. I hope she is listening to you!

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts