Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you will need: saw,pencil,soldering iron 30W,soldering iron 100W,solder,cd marker,multimeter

Following the pictures:

05 min - mark sending unit
15 min - sawing ( leave 2 cm on the edge to help close )
05 min - clean
05 min - solder the contacts potentiometer track ( with soldering iron 30W )
05 min - make sure the cursor is in contact with the track ( using the multimeter )
05 min - pass graphite on track with the pencil
10 min - solder a wire from unit to internal conector to prevent bad connection
10 min - close with solder ( with soldering iron 100W )

and ...

solid and stable readings for another 10 years

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,632 Posts
In most cases, with these senders, it's actually a leaky O-ring seal inside that allows oil to fill the chamber. It is a 5 minute fix for many of them by drilling/punching a small hole in the top of the chamber to relieve the pressure inside which has prevented the diaphragm from flexing and moving the swing arm.

I've not seen one with your kind of mechanism failure, but but your info is a good fix for it.

You can also uncrimp the housing and remove the housing to access the insides. Then you can recrimp the housing back on. I have one in my 91S which has been on the car now for at least 10 years, and works fine with the oil leak fix, done by uncrimping to find out what was wrong, and then recrimping the housing (drilling the hole later). The one on the LS has also been fixed for the oil leak, done by drilling the hole. Been on the car for at least 8 years now, I spect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Del , thanks for your solution to drill a hole which inspire me
to open the unit. The symptoms of my unit was not reading when cold
and intermittent reading when hot. I tried
drill a hole first without results.When I opened the unit I found a bad solder
which explain the intermittent reads. After closing the case I left the hole open. I advise everyone to try the "Del drilling a hole" solution first.
Special thanks from Brazil to AlfaBB which makes the Alfist life easier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,632 Posts
I would suggest that after drilling the hole, one should put a small sheet metal screw in the hole after you have drained the oil out, etc. That way, if in fact there is a complete failure of the O-ring, you don't get oil squirting everywhere as a couple of people have had happen.

Otherwise, I've not had problems, but have installed the screw anyway. You can always remove it to re-release the oil and pressure if the gauge starts to drop again. I think that usually the seepage is so slow that not much drips out after many many miles.

Good to know your fix for the internal problems.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Or you could buy and install a SunPro sender and a resistor for about $20 and actually have accurate oil pressure indications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts