Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to match electrically an oil pressure sender from an alfetta 2L engine to a Giulia's dash oil pressure unit? I'm not serching for an accuracy, just for a safety indication. As far as I Know, those senders have a resistance of Zero (earthed),since when also get earthed the instrument's input the meter shows zero. But I dont know the range resistance of the senders and the logarithmic or linear rise of the resistance to make a matching circuit for the meter.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, this might be the next motion. But here where I have the Giulia (Cyprus) they sell for about 150$ the sender! On the other hand, there is always the issue of the accuracy, even it is a new sender. I also had problems with the tacho and speedo, seems both dead. I changed the wires, again nothing. Speedo cauge was fine, some problems with the speedo dial. Since I don't care for originality but for hot road and track, I bought an electronic tacho dial and placed nicely over the dash. It works fine. I guess there is a problem with the sender placed on trans. Any way , thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I don't care in that car for a complete originality, I bought a nice new oil pressure meter ( with the sender) for 70$. It fits and works fine.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Since I don't care in that car for a complete originality, I bought a nice new oil pressure meter ( with the sender) for 70$. It fits and works fine.
What brand meter did you get? Do you know what the sensor threads are?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally I got the oil pressure unit (sender included) and a tacho unit, both from Auto Gauge brand in same style. They both worked fine and are easy to fit. As for the threads, I was lucky! The sender had exactly the same. The only issue was the length, since the new one was pretty longer. But, with the proper washers you will get the right length. At the end, no oil leak at all. And is so nice to see a clear 55psi on the meter. The meters while get the measure electronically, the look is analog.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Finally I got the oil pressure unit (sender included) and a tacho unit, both from Auto Gauge brand in same style. They both worked fine and are easy to fit. As for the threads, I was lucky! The sender had exactly the same. The only issue was the length, since the new one was pretty longer. But, with the proper washers you will get the right length. At the end, no oil leak at all. And is so nice to see a clear 55psi on the meter. The meters while get the measure electronically, the look is analog.
Hi,
Just to clarify, are you saying that when you removed the old Alfa sending unit from the block, the AutoMeter's sending unit had the correct threads to fit into the block? Could it be that it was a "European" AutoMeter gauge? cause the one I just bought has "American" threads and not metric.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
strange, indeed...Mine sender although longer, was ok. I can't recall know if the sender was a euro spec. But, I don't think that there was euro or Usa spec sender. Maybe a question to your seller about the issue?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Just called Autometer. No real help:(. Looks like my first step is to remove the old sender and see if the threads of the new AutoMeter sender are the same :)rolleyes:yea, right). What I'll have to do (I think) if I want to retain the orig. gauge in dash and have my auxilary gauge is to fabricate a dual line out of the block and attach both sending units to it.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, In case you found US than Metric on the sender,will be fine. BTW, one close friend used something like that for sending via a teflon tube ( without a sender), the oil pressure to a professional oil pressure instrument .The one with glykerine bubble. It works also great! But, the other gause I use is working perfect, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts