Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 spider 1750 engine.

When I start the car from cold the oil pressure reading is about 3/4 around the dial so reading good... On idle it drops to mid way. so again ok!

However after driving the car for say 20-30 mins/20 miles I have a problem with the readings... As soon as I stop the the car the reading drops to zero? Then once I get going again and the revs its around 2-2.5k the needs bounces back to the 3/4 mark. But it drops back to zero when I stop again?

Any thoughts?
Any checks that I can do?

Is the pressure switch easy to change?

Thanks for any guidance...

·
Registered
what part?
10,536 Posts
sounds ok, for that year.. the low oil pressure nlight would come on at i thnk 7 psi.. the gauges esp the oil at idle on some cars will show 0 at idle, just as long as the oil light doe's not turn on, you are ok.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really it should drop to zero? Where is the low oil pressure light situated?

Thanks

sounds ok, for that year.. the low oil pressure nlight would come on at i thnk 7 psi.. the gauges esp the oil at idle on some cars will show 0 at idle, just as long as the oil light doe's not turn on, you are ok.

·
Registered
what part?
10,536 Posts
the low oil pressure switch is on the drivers side of the block, just below the headers... the light should be on you centre consule

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Bianchi is right, you probably don't have a problem.
Oil pressure shows highest on a cold engine at driving speeds, and will be somewhat less high at cold idle.
It's lowest at hot idle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just been out to the garage to check on the low pressure switch.. if it should be below the header close to the bulk head? it has been removed and replaced with a nut :eek: That explains the spare wire coming from the loom which has been wrapped up out the way:rolleyes:

It looks like the nut has been on a while... any thing to worry about if I have strong oil pressure when driving?:confused:

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,305 Posts
It looks like the nut has been on a while... any thing to worry about if I have strong oil pressure when driving?:confused:
Yes. You want that light working, especially given how erratic the gauge is on these cars.

It's okay if the gauge goes to zero at hot idle. If the light comes on, though, you've got a big problem.

Make absolutely sure you're in the right location before you unscrew that nut, though. It would suck to undo the wrong thing. Maybe someone here can post a pic of the location for your particular year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts