Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Quick question
The engine in my 1974 spider has been emptied of oil for about a month, while I was doing the head gasket replacement. I have it all together now, filled the oil, and I'm turning the engine over with ignition disabled to get some oil going through the engine before I start it. I can't see any oil pressure with the starter turning the engine. Is this anticipated, does the oil pump need to be primed? Should I be worried? Perhaps I just need engine revs to get the pump building enough pressure to detect on the gauge?

Thanks for any thoughts
Mike

Thanks

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If it had pressure before, it should have pressure now. Did you pre-load the oil filter? If not it may take a little while to build up and register at the sensor.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response five say
Had pressure when running prior to head gasket. Can't recall if oil pressure picked up with starter cranking only. Didn't prime the oil filter. Perhaps I just need to keep cranking till pressure appears?
Mike

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Just fire it up. Pressure should come up pretty quick. No reason it shouldn't. Sure you plugged in the oil sender wire?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after turning over enough, the pressure did start to come up. Next problem is I can't get the car to start. I just put in the new 123 distributor. Have to do some thinking about this.

Thanks for your suggestions about the oil pressure.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts