Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gauge built into the rev counter is not working, as soon as power is connected to the terminal it reads full pressure regardless of the sender wire connected or not, if I remove the earth wire its back to zero. Anyone had this issue and fixed it?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I believe you have the "late style sender" and need the "early style". Their behavior is inverted - one grounds at zero PSI the other grounds at high PSI. I had this issue and swapped parts, fixed it. But I swapped dashes. If this started happening on an otherwise functional car and you did no work to the sender or gauge - there may be another cause.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not sender as it's showing max with no sender connected only removing 12v or earth drops the needle to 0, it looks like it's shorting out inside the gauge but I have no idea how to split it open without damaging it

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
If you remove the earth from the sender it zeros or if you remove the earth from the gauge cluster? What about removing earth from sender and touching it to the block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
It's not sender as it's showing max with no sender connected only removing 12v or earth drops the needle to 0, it looks like it's shorting out inside the gauge but I have no idea how to split it open without damaging it
If there is an internal short (possible as there are some connections that go through the metal case and are insulated) to get into these gauges you need to carefully pry the metal of the trim ring away from the side of the case on the back side. Once you open up a gap the case will pull away from the ring leaving the glass. I'd verify everything else is good first.

·
9,937 Posts
It's not sender as it's showing max with no sender connected only removing 12v or earth drops the needle to 0,
Why do you think it isn't the sender? Did this gauge-sender work OK previously?

As r-mm wrote, mixing old/new gauges/senders can produce some weird outcomes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts