Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: The oil pressure gauge on my '69 GTV-1750 is pegged. I know I'm getting lubrication & the oil is clean. I looked & saw that the wire to the oil filter housing was broken off. I repaired it, but the gauge still reads maximum oil pressure? Any ideas? Could the sensor be bad? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Lloyd

·
Administrator
16,482 Posts
The gauge will be pegged at the high stop if the wire at the sender is grounded (touches bare metal). I do not know the specifics of your '69 GTV but other model Alfa's usually have two senders - one for the gauge and another for a low oil pressure warning light. Is the wire to the filter housing for the light and your sender is elsewhere (and its wire loose and touching metal)?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gauge will be pegged at the high stop if the wire at the sender is grounded (touches bare metal). I do not know the specifics of your '69 GTV but other model Alfa's usually have two senders - one for the gauge and another for a low oil pressure warning light. Is the wire to the filter housing for the light and your sender is elsewhere (and its wire loose and touching metal)?
Thanks for your reply. I'll check that when i get home. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
The gauge will be pegged at the high stop if the wire at the sender is grounded
That applies to cars made after 1970 but earlier gauges are the other way round, that is open circuit reads full scale and short reads zero. I don't know when the changeover was made but I know for sure that some GTV's are the early type. GProcket and I had a thread going about it about 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I'm pretty sure the wire at the oil filter is for the low oil pressure warning light and that the oil pressure sensor is on the back of the head (could be different for a US model though).

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
So if the wire at the sender is disconnected (or otherwise broken) will the gauge be pegged at its high stop?
On the earlier type - Yes.
The early senders are hard to find and I built a circuit to interface a modern sender to an early gauge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts