Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the starter on my 1750 generate enough oil pressure to show on the gauge (assuming the sender and gauge are working)? I have oil circulating, I know this because I puked a quart on the floor before I realized the filter cannister was not tightened. Merde! I'm probably a quart or more low now. started with 5 quarts in a dry engine.
thanks for any help,
Stan

·
Registered
what part?
10,499 Posts
only for a quick burst on the starter, warm oil... nomaly no...also you car take 7 quarts if it has the 'bat wind' sump like my 2 liter.

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
You should see oil pressure with a cold engine. I disconnect the ignition before I start my engine after an oil change and I run it on the starter until I see oil pressure. Then I hook up the ignition.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
You should see oil pressure with a cold engine. I disconnect the ignition before I start my engine after an oil change and I run it on the starter until I see oil pressure. Then I hook up the ignition.
I do the same

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I disconnect the ignition before I start my engine after an oil change and I run it on the starter until I see oil pressure.
You can speed up that process by priming the filter before install if it's of the regular canister type.

With the can upright and using a round flat ended drift or simular, gently press back the valve disc a bit (they don't move far) in it through one of the small holes around the big center hole and slowly pour oil into the small hole(s) that have opened (NOT the big center hole, all that'll do is dump out when you go to install the filter) You gotta go slow because the filter element will restrict flow to some degree.

After about 1/3~1/2 quart you can stop and put it on (don't wait too long or oil will seep through the filter element and get into the middle where it'll just dump out as soon as you tip the filter) and the valve disc will prevent the oil from coming back out, just like it does on the engine once it's been run once.

Oil pressure will come up very quickly compared to just winding on an empty can.

I imagine the same could be done with the older filter version too, but it'd prolly get messy in the process.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I do this everytime I start the engine cold. Simply operate the starter until you see pressure building up, then a few dap on the accelerator and the engine fires up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, 60 psi

yes, 60 PSI on the starter once the system primed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts