Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought '78 Spider last fall. Runs fine, but leaks oil. I think it is the upper pan gasket. This my be a stupid question, but how do you get to the nuts that hold the front of the oil pan guard. I can see the bolt heads, but can't see the nuts.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
They aren't something you can get at as they're built into the front metalwork.
The bolts should come out without issue as the threaded fixture should be pretty well permanantly affixed.

If they spin or strip, then you've got a whole different ball of wax to deal with beyond removing the sump guard as the same fixtures also mount the anti~roll bar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They're captive nuts - no wrench required, unless someone has previously damaged them.

FYI - upper pan gasket is damned difficult to replace with the engine in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
leaks oil. I think it is the upper pan gasket
Hello mlrose,

Welcome to the BB. You have landed at at great place.

It's not common for the upper oil pan gasket to leak, but it is common for it to have oil on it.

Why's that? Because something above it is leaking.

It's not that easy to get the upper oil pan gasket changed with the engine in situ.

I would power wash that engine right down and then try to find the oil leak.

Common areas are head gasket or front crankshaft seal. That front crankshaft seal will leak down and follow the gasket back, making it look like the gasket is leaking when its not.

My 2 cents.

Good luck, welcome and we like pictures of that car of yours!:D

Vin

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi mlrose,

I had this problem when I was pulling the engine/trans from my '73 Spider. The captive nuts weren't captive. I think they were damaged by a PO when the sump guard took a serious hit (the left side anti-roll bar mount was also partially torn loose). Fortunately I was able to break the bolts free before the nuts started turning with the bolts, and with all the engine oil that had leaked over the years, there was no rust or corrosion on any of the bolts, so I was able to kind of cant each bolt a little to lock the nut in place while I unscrewed it with an end wrench or by hand. If the bolts had been just a little corroded I think I would have had to grind or cut the heads off. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do on re-assembly, I'll worry about that when I get to it. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts