Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my leaking lower oil pan gasket. I have a new Reinz one ready to go.

Any recommendations on whether to use sealant in addition to the gasket? If so which type? One or both sides?

thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe I used Permatex #2 in a tube and only on the side on the pan (so it could be removed later if needed). I also bought a new copper gasket for the drain plug, has not leaked a drop in a year!

That gasket was so thin and twisted up in storage that I do think I could have installed it without some kind of adhesive. Todd C

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,029 Posts
i like to soak my lower gasket in really warm water for an hour.. this expandes the gasket a little, so it seals the little imperfections better.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
I believe I used Permatex #2 in a tube and only on the side on the pan (so it could be removed later if needed).
I would use sealant on both sides. Yes, the gasket will get destroyed the next time you disassemble things. No, oil won't leak through the un-sealed interface. That's a trade-off I'm OK making.

I use Permatex non-hardening sealant. It's about the color and thickness of molasses. But honestly, anything is good except silicone.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I like 3 Bond or Ultimate Gray by permatex. Real thin coat, dries but stays flexible.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,646 Posts
put a light coat of each of the metal sides, very light, a little da will do ya, then tightend like a head gasket fromt the center out, front, back, crossover, front to back bla bla bla. The most important thing is to clean both surfaces super clean and then wipe down with brake parts cleaner. It's a thin sucker so place it on one of the surfaces then make sure all the holes are lined up and have at it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I used permatex on mine and it's working fine. One tip for lining up the gasket on the pan...

I put a little permatex on the pan edge and then I used golf tees (I shortened them a bit with wire cutters) in each of the 17 holes in order to make sure the gasket was lined up properly.

It made an easy job of getting the gasket lined up correctly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As mentioned above, while using the liquid gasket helps, make sure you check (and get if not there) the copper gasket for the oil drain plug. It will leak no matter what without it.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,646 Posts
x2 and from my experience it's rare for that bottom gasket to leak unless a thread is stripped or something else is out of whack.

·
Registered
113 Posts
x2 and from my experience it's rare for that bottom gasket to leak unless a thread is stripped or something else is out of whack.
Yes, on that note I was certainly impressed with the construction of that oil pan. My PO had installed a thick cork gasket that was squished all over and when I saw my new thin gasket I wondered about how it would seal. But given the rigid cast aluminum, a good cleaning and the (seeming) over a dozen bolts it sure held up well for me. It would be the envy of a British car guy! Todd C

·
Registered
94 Posts
that would be 17 bolts and after hand turning each one, they better not leak. I actually went thru two gaskets when I did mine as I screwed up the first one. Another reason for the liquid sealer was it helped to hold down the ever squiggling gasket which just wouldn't stay in place long enough to hit every hole. So that would be 17 out, (clean and prep for new gasket); 17 in, (yikes, it is leaking and looks like several screws missed the gasket); 17 back out (**** this is getting tedious) and 17 back in (yeah, it worked) . Yikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts