Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size wrench you need to take off the oil pan drain plug?

I had a 24mm which was to small and since they are like $15/piece for that size I want to make sure I know the size before I go and get one.

Im draining the oil so that I can pull the motor out of the car and rebuild it. Already has the new 10.4:1 c/r pistons and sleeves and I think might have new gears in the tranny but dont know because this was all down by previous owner. Reason for thinking new gears is because our other Alfa doesnt seem to have the same kind of power as this one. I can run 4th gear on the freeway up to 65mph before shifting into 5th.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep tottaly positive. Its a 1985 and my sisters 1986 is the same way. I think a lot of the stuff was changed over in the 90's along with the body style.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
AFAIR, it's 21mm on my 73.

How about those adjustable wrench (?)(those u can adjust the width) I took off the drain plug (also the thermoswitch on radiator, which is like 30mm)on my VW once with that (couldn't find my 19mm wrench) works pretty well

Got a tape measure? Measure it with a tape measure - fyi - 1inch = 24.5mm

Or, buy it and return it!! :D

Romeo85 said:
Yep tottaly positive. Its a 1985 and my sisters 1986 is the same way. I think a lot of the stuff was changed over in the 90's along with the body style.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Both my '81 Spider and '67 GTV oil plugs are 27mm. I believe that is the standard size. I had to go to Harbor Freight to buy a 1/2" socket set. Well it was a good excuse to buy a whole set at least.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hmmm... maybe I remember it wrong :D
Or maybe I read it as 1 instead of 7 on the socket.

What size is the block coolant drain plug? I remember it being much larger than the oil plug.

IAP is selling the magnetic plug and the socket for 8.95 each.

I have a spare plug in my toolbox at work, I will measure it on Monday. If it's not too late :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Once more, I'm an idiot. All along I'm thinking tranny drain plug. The oil pan drain plug on my 92 requires a 12 mm allen wrench!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts