Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I saw a photo somewhere of a modified oil pan that would allow
all the oil to drain back to the drain hole when the oil is changed.

Here is a photo of what I mean . I would think a small hole would do.
But it would have to be as low as possible .
OIL PAN LOWER.jpg
Photo from Spruellmotorsport.com
See any down side of this mod ?

And would one hole do it or would more be required for the sides also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What a great idea!! Wish I had thought about that. My race pans have hinged doors that leak enough to let the oil drain. For a street machine there should be no problem drilling several 9mm holes so it does not take all day to let it dribble through a single hole.

Your photo shows the new Super Heavy Duty pan off our website. When this first batch arrived, I wrote the weight, 8.5 (pounds) beside the drain plug. I weighed an OEM replica at 6.0 pounds. This new casting is strong enough to be classified as a skid plate. Tomorrow the ad will be updated with a price of $245 and more information. paul

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul,

Well, I am busted, I will put a note on that photo :rolleyes:.

The only down side I can think of to drilling the holes is bits of crap may collect in the holes over time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey..........no worries........I am delighted to have the opportunity to draw attention to this new product. We just posted the revised ad on the website. Take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
732 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is one of those projects that just sits at the bottom of the R/D stack and never rises to the top. I am just now finishing the super oil pump project that dates back to 1987 and CP super piston upgrade from 1995. We just received the first steering idler boxes that go bad. Thanks for the suggestion. I will give the steering box some thought.

·
Premium Member
22,186 Posts
Part of the point of the "box" in the pan bottom, around the oil pickup, is to keep oil at the pickup during cornering, when forces would tend to slosh it away. The modifications in the pan in post 5 above seem to me would let the oil do just that, possibly leading to starvation during cornering. Seems to me Alfa put the labyrinth there for a reason, having thought it all through.

Andrew

·
Registered
732 Posts
Part of the point of the "box" in the pan bottom, around the oil pickup, is to keep oil at the pickup during cornering, when forces would tend to slosh it away. The modifications in the pan in post 5 above seem to me would let the oil do just that, possibly leading to starvation during cornering. Seems to me Alfa put the labyrinth there for a reason, having thought it all through.

Andrew
No, the pan on picture 5 have the cuts at both sides of the "box" because in the upper part of the pan just above the cuts, there are installed two flaps that opens towards the pump inlet, opening and closing the pictured cuts when cornering, just to avoid the phenomena you described above.

Follow the link on post 5 and you'll see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts