Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well. i have a 79 veloce spider and was recently ran off of the road, and when i hit the curb instead of just bending my rim or popping my tire, my oil pan decided to hit the curb first. and instead of just getting bent or stoppping the car it shattered into about a million pieces along with the bottom of the oil pump...

i do not believe there is any damage to the block. just the pan. and not just the lower part of it either.

so, i just got the car recently, and do not know where i can take it to be worked on (i live in the bay area california. hayward to be exact.)

second of all i am seventeen and i am wondering wherether or not i should report this to my insurance company or if i should just do it myself.

so if anyone has knowledge on a alfa romeo specific shop in the bay area, or anything on the inner workings of an insurance company and their actions when it comes to seventeen year old kids crashing and how much they might jack up my rates?

please help me. i love my little car and it's just sitting in the rain wishing to be drivin.

thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My 17 year old kids trashed Volvo 1800s and Alfettas. Everyone else, including deer were at fault.
You need a different ride.
Hope this helps.
Well, maybe if I was some over privileged lazy snotty kid with a huge disregard for hard work and the value of a dollar. Yet, I have worked hard for all of the things i have, I treat all of my things with utmost respect and care. Most kids dont have these types of feeling for their stuff when mommy and daddy buy them all these nice things just because, probably because mommy and daddy will fix it when they break it trying to show off for some just as spoiled girl. On another note I do have another ride little red is more of a weekend car for me. It's a 1966 chevy suburban. Really crappy looking, but it runs. Thanks for all of your super helpful advice I will think of you every time I see some sixteen year old kid driving a mercedes that mommy and daddy thought he 'deserved' i guess for being sixteen because thats all he probably does.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
......second of all i am seventeen and i am wondering wherether or not i should report this to my insurance company or if i should just do it myself.....
Sorry to here of your problem, and as already mentioned, there is most likely damage other than just the oil pan, if you hit the curb hard enough to break it.

As to the insurance issue, also as stated previously, get some quotes first. The repairs might be less than your deductible, then why would you notify them. On the other hand, California DMV requires that you report any accident where there is in excess of $500 of damage. Did you file a police report? If you did, and they determined that it wasn't your fault, then let your insurance company deal with it.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
See This Also

Sump Guards LINK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks man. I looked at everything underneath the car and pretty much just the oil pan and the oil pump. everything else was pretty much untouched.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
OK! I would not make an insurance claim. At your age you need to stay under the radar or your insurance will go through the roof unless another driver is at fault, as determined by the cops. Since you have another ride, gather the parts and fix it yourself, if you have the tools and mechanical aptitude or can get some help. Even if you have it fixed by a shop you may be money ahead as opposed to an insurance claim. They aren't forgiving when it comes to young male drivers. Hope THIS helps...

·
Registered
403 Posts
OK! I would not make an insurance claim. At your age you need to stay under the radar or your insurance will go through the roof unless another driver is at fault, as determined by the cops.
Ditto. I'm 17 as well, and when I screwed up in my Miata I did all I could to keep the insurance company uninvolved.

Good luck getting everything fixed!

Evan

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK! I would not make an insurance claim. At your age you need to stay under the radar or your insurance will go through the roof unless another driver is at fault, as determined by the cops. Since you have another ride, gather the parts and fix it yourself, if you have the tools and mechanical aptitude or can get some help. Even if you have it fixed by a shop you may be money ahead as opposed to an insurance claim. They aren't forgiving when it comes to young male drivers. Hope THIS helps...
That's the main thing , don't get your self into a jam if you can't fix it and end up just giving up. Luckily I see oil pans upper and lower going on ebay all the time now for around $200 hell even with two spare "whole pans" I still have a sump guard, wise investment.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Sump Guards LINK
+1

When my '69 was almost new, when I was a kid (19 or so) I ripped out the lower pan when I drove over a stretch of road under construction-- the street was bumpy, and I hit a manhole cover that was sticking up above the road. Learned about sump guard the hard way too.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've not done it myself, but I was informed by a knowledgeable Alfa guy way back in the day that R&R of the oilpan with the motor still in the car is one of the most miserable jobs on a spider. That was back in (good lord) 1988, so people may have figured out new & improved methods. I dunno.

When I was 17 my tools consisted of a filter wrench (still have it!) and a crescent wrench. If yours is vaguely similar it'll probably be a good idea to take it somewhere. If you can afford it, of course.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I would take my time and gather all the pieces you think you will need before you start on the job. Gaskets, oil pans, tools, etc. You should probably check that you didn't hurt the engine mounts also. Is there a dent in the hood or a mark in the insulation? That would probably mean that you tore up the mounts at the same time. One of the best tools that you can get for oil pan work is a 1/4" swivel socket. These are pretty pricey but well worth it. If you can get a hold of a Snap-On, Matco, or Mac tool guy they will have a good quality one. I'm not sure what size the pan bolts are off the top of my head but the Alfetta and GTV-6 have 11mm bolts and nuts. Make sure that you get a six point not a 12 point socket. You will be looking in the neighborhood of around $40.00 per socket but I will tell you now that it is well worth buying the good one 1st. Craftsmen version sucks. (See picture) With a long 1/4" extension you will be able to reach bolts you never thought possibe (12" extension works well) You may also want to get some stubby metric wrenches also.(Easy to get into tight spaces). Also if you don't gave access to a rack buy good jack stands ( 4 if you can swing it ) This will make life safer. One you have gathered all your crap together you can start. Oh..... get plenty of brake clean. It stinks and is flammable but it will get rid of most of the drippy oil that seems to drain for days. Keep asking questions if you run into anything that you are unsure of.:D

Paul

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oil Sump woes

Oh..... get plenty of brake clean. It stinks and is flammable but it will get rid of most of the drippy oil that seems to drain for days. Keep asking questions if you run into anything that you are unsure of.:D
Paul
Paul's right on the brake clean, but on the other end of the spectrum, I lost 7+ quarts in the mile it took to get back to my house. He's also right, look for dents in the hood and get up under there with a VERY strong light and as completely as possible, inspect the upper pan for cracks, warping, etc. Dont be misled by casting marks, thinking they're cracks, aim a strong focus-able flashlight into the upper pan from below, after darkening the garage and look for light coming through anywhere.

BY FAR the MOST important advice anyone can give (the oil pan is easy, a REALLY easy job at the end of the day...) is to jack this car safely and properly, and by properly I mean such that she won't 1. Fall on you, ever, test this by rocking her medium hard, all directions, 2. Having someone familiar with the jack with you when you go under her that can raise the car should it descend, 3. If you have to be by yourself, arrange a simple start/finish phone call ('I'm starting/I'm done').

As for the job itself, the wrench I used to get the oil plug off was a simple Craftsman adjustable wrench, no biggie, had it already so no expense. The bolts on the pan will spin off way easier than you expect (they've been oily all along, I surprised I didn't think of that ahead of time) and the advice I got on the board was to replace them with no more that 6-8 torque, just at or past snug, not tight. Use a high-temp gasket sealant, razor off the cap at the smallest possible hole for the smallest possible line of sealant on the gasket and leave no gaps whatsoever in your sealant-line. Take your time with this part, you'll be cramped up for a day or two but it's worth it to go slow.

A sump guard saved my mounts, engine and hood by taking the shot of a sewer cap left on the roadway. I will never drive the car faster than 20 for my short winter runs in the development without a guard. The pans are works of casting art and brittle as crackers compared to anything else they're likely to encounter.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts