Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me why Alfa Romeo (Fiats are no better) engines leek oil like the proverbial ‘sieve’ :mad:.
I have 2 other Japanese cars pertaining to performance sitting at home, and neither of them leek their lube like the Italian and both of them have done similar K’s to the Alfa.
They both have lower overall gearing, so they spend more time with higher average revs (seal wear). Both are a lot move rev happy than the Alfa, and so tend to get more of a squirt up the tacho (more seal wear).
It gives me the absolute irrits to go under my Alfa and find more mess :mad:.
Was it just piss poor machining quality during manufacturing that caused seal to shaft misalignment or out of round seal journals (Unlikely)?
Bad seal choices? (Unlikely too)
Bad design of the engine that causes the seal to somehow allow cavitations of the oil film and then have that cavitations wreck the seal and or the seal surface?
Do later model (155 and later) Alfa's leek oil?
Please no mention of 'Character', that's not an answer or an excuse.
(Yes I'm a bit annoyed ATM :mad:)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL :rolleyes:. You mean piss on everything like a cat in heat :p

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
My 75 is fine. I bet a lot of *** cars the same as yours do leak oil. You might just be lucky. My GTV seems to leak less since I changed to Penrite oil from GTX2. I don't think it will be too bad once I clean it thoroughly. I have been working on cars for more years than I wish to mention and I think the majority of old cars of all types develop leaks. How old are your *** cars by the way?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My 75 is fine. I bet a lot of *** cars the same as yours do leak oil. You might just be lucky. My GTV seems to leak less since I changed to Penrite oil from GTX2. I don't think it will be too bad once I clean it thoroughly. I have been working on cars for more years than I wish to mention and I think the majority of old cars of all types develop leaks. How old are your *** cars by the way?
No they don't. I have a few mates with S13 Silvia's/180SX and Skylines of similar age to my 75 (1990) and they are loads cleaner underneath.
My MR2 is an '88 and the Silvia is a '91 but has an R32 Skyline GTSt engine in it and I don't know what age that was but the engine had done about 140000km when I put it in.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
LOL

on a more serious note i think it all comes down to use, oil, and wear.....just cause you replace a seal doesnt mean much of the seal isnt PERFECT or that the old seal didnt wear a fine groove in the part that it seals...the same can be said about any car.....i know on my mopars and my 58 ford that switching up to RACING HD 30 or 40wt oil keeps em from leaking...the thiner the oil the more any given engine will leak....mopar trannys on the other hand leak..period thanx to a steel pan on an aluminum case

when i get around to rebuilding an alfa engine ill do what i can to keep it from leaking but i do know that the gtv6 ive got here leaked very little when i was running the racing 30wt.....was told that i shouldnt be running it switched to 20-50 and it leaks twice as much

·
Registered
659 Posts
My 75 barely uses any oil whatsoever. After chucking a new VRS kit through it and giving the heads a shave to get them nice and smooth it's been great. Replacing the rear main would have it only using the amount of oil it should. Prior to that it was using a considerable amount, after a good dose of maintenance it's been great. *shrugs*

As for *** cars, a majority of my friends drive them, and they always seem to have a heap more problems than I ever do. It's only ever "broken down" once, and that was simply the throttle cable slipping out of place.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 75 barely uses any oil whatsoever. After chucking a new IRS kit through it and giving the heads a shave to get them nice and smooth it's been great. Replacing the rear main would have it only using the amount of oil it should. Prior to that it was using a considerable amount, after a good dose of maintenance it's been great. *shrugs*

As for *** cars, a majority of my friends drive them, and they always seem to have a heap more problems than I ever do. It's only ever "broken down" once, and that was simply the throttle cable slipping out of place.

ROCK ON
R~R
IRS kit:confused: VRS ? I'm on my 4th Italian car (2 Fiat's 2 Alfa's) and they have all leeked more oil than my Japanese cars. Granted my 1st Fiat was back in my poor apprentice days and was worn out, but that had less mess under it than my 75. The '84 131 Superbrava was an absolute shocker for an engine that hadn't done much work for it's age, it leeked out of every shaft seal on the engine. The old Giullietta had plenty of rust prevention sprayed under the car even after I put a reasonable (rings, bearings and SEALS) 2ltr in it.
As for your friends with *** cars, are they Australian built *** cars (Camry's, local Pulsars/Skylines etc.) or imported 1's?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Haha VRS yes, that's what happens when you try and post whilst working on research essays! I mean something didn't seem right, but with a head full of legal jargon and thoughts for lines I ignored it.

And a combination of both Australian delivered and imports.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
All I can say is, take a walk around a car park sometime and look at the empty spaces and you will see how many cars leak oil. Most of the cars using them would be Japanese and Australian and they only stay there for short periods. I am sure you could track down the source of the leaks and fix them. My 75 had a slight leak from the cam seals so I had them and crankshaft pulley seal replaced and it is as clean as a whistle now. I just had a look under our 33 which has been sitting in the same spot for weeks and there is no oil there, so I don't think you can generalize about Alfas being worse than other cars.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Duk,
If you expect the behavior of a Japanese car, perhaps the Alfa isn't for you, and perhaps you should stick to Japanese cars. Alfas are probably more delicate than Japanese cars. If that is too much, perhaps it is time to move on and avoid further frustration. Alternatively, you should probably look into fixing the oil leaks. The only ones that are practically impossible to do with engine in car are the pipe seals and the rear main seal.

BTW, it may be leaking oil from lack of usage which can have caused oil seals to dry up and harden (shortening their useful life). These cars are better off being driven regularly than sit for long periods of times.
Jes

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Duk,
If you expect the behavior of a Japanese car, perhaps the Alfa isn't for you, and perhaps you should stick to Japanese cars. Alfas are probably more delicate than Japanese cars. If that is too much, perhaps it is time to move on and avoid further frustration. Alternatively, you should probably look into fixing the oil leaks. The only ones that are practically impossible to do with engine in car are the pipe seals and the rear main seal.

BTW, it may be leaking oil from lack of usage which can have caused oil seals to dry up and harden (shortening their useful life). These cars are better off being driven regularly than sit for long periods of times.
Jes
Like I wrote in my introductory post, "....it is both great and occasionally frustrating to own another Alfa."
I like to have my cake and eat it too.
Performance and fuel ecconomy, ride and handeling, fun and reliability, things that have oil but keep it inside their seals.
Obviously some compromise is required in some of the above, but not when it comes to oil seals.
PS Fitter and Turner by trade so there aren't many things I can't fix, I just (after owning 3 *** cars) can't tollerate oil leaks. But if it's a design fault that is only going to cause the same thing to happen not long after seal replacement, then I get pissed.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry oz3litre, I didn't see your post. I can appreciate that a lot of cars can have oil leaks, it's just based on my personal experience of seal replacement on Alfa's (and Fiat's) those leaks aren't always fixed for an acceptable length of time when the seals are replaced. On the same tocan, 3 Japanese cars (Ford Laser TX3 turbo (Mazda engine), Supercharged AW11 MR2 and the Skyline powered Silvia) without oil leaks tends to raise your standard of compromise when it comes to cars for car enthusiests.
I have to admit that I was just blowing off a little steam after climbing out from under the Alfa when I started this thread....;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts