Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the BB so excuse me if this question has been asked. I have a '84 Spider with 47K miles on it. I have an oil leak at the back left of the engine block. It looks to be coming from the mating surface between the head and the block. Per Duluth's tread of 11-12-10 all points to the head gasket, which I assumed. My questions are: How much can expect to pay to have the gasket replaced ? second: what else should I have done while the head is off? IG; skim the head, lap the valves, replace the rubber runners on the intake etc. etc. Thanks
Jim in Colo.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You sure it's not coming from the back of the cam cover via gasket or half moon seal back there?
It's also plausible that oil can weep through bad valve guide seals and run out where there's a small gap in the exhaust manifold gasket.

As to what to get done/fix/replace to the head as long as its off?
Yes.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Looks like might be a good idea to clean very well the whole area, then drive it for a few miles, just enough to inspect again to verify. Then go from there.

Head gasket redo- dont shave head indiscriminately. You have to guage it first for tolerance.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have retorqued the head--no help. I'm sure the leak is coming from the head to block mating surface. I took a mirror down there to be sure. It"s coming from the back left hand corner. Is there an oil gallery back there? I guess it's time to get the head gasket replaced.
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
It's coming from the back left hand corner. Is there an oil gallery back there? I guess it's time to get the head gasket replaced.
Jim
Hi Jim,

If you are talking about just under the #4 (Rear most) exhaust, then yes, there is an oil galley there. Here are some pictures.

Blocco%20guarnizione.jpg

Blocco%20motore.jpg

Blocco%20or%20passaggio%20olio.jpg

If it is, you will need to replace the head gasket.

Here is a thread I made to help if you need it.

Head Gasket Replacement for Dummies

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
897 Posts
If it were my car, which it's not, and there is no cross contamination of coolant and oil, I would certainly not be inclined to replace the headgasket for an oil leak, unless the oil leak was serious (like a quart of oil every 300 miles at worst).

As Pat Braden said, and I paraphrase, "some Alfa's don't leak oil, however, I've never seen or owned one of them".

Every Alfa I've ever owned leaked oil from just about everywhere. I've replaced head gaskets when I saw even a trace of oil in the coolant, but in the future I'd wait until I saw coolant in the oil before I start taking things apart. Because there's always going to be oil leaking slightly into places you don't want it.

That said, perhaps the wise thing is to replace if you have the time and resources.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pictures.
Definitly an oil gallery right were its leaking. It's a pretty substantial leak. I mark my space everywere I go. I'm use to mormal leaks. Time to replace !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts