Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak on my 78 Spider that I am not able to tell where it came from. All I know is the oil leaked on the right side (passenger) of the car. Does anyone know where is this leak and how easy to fix the leakage?

Thanks!
Q-man

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
You're not giving enough info. There are several places it could be coming from. Is the leak near the right front or right rear of the engine?

Right front:
Injection Pump mounting point. Not likely
Front crankshaft seal: Likely

Right rear:
Cylinder head gasket: Likely
Rear crankshaft seal: Would probably be more in the center rear area rather than on the right side of engine.

Take the air cleaner box off and see if you can see any oil running down the side of the engine block.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I will add three more locations I have seen on my 78. If its a small amount check the Distributor "o" ring. Also check the front of the motor to ensure the two bolts that pass through the block and into the bottom of the head are in place. One is above the alternator and one near the distributor. Be careful not to strip them out. If its a large amount, check the oil vapor seperator hose that runs from the dipstick to the bottom of the seperator. I had one of those dry rot and rupture sending oil out every time I made a hard turn.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil Leak

Right at the bottom of the Spica pump. And no, it's not leaking from the pump or above the pump. I clean the area very well and watch for leakage and nothing so far. The valve cover has a new gasket about 3 weeks ago with the very best gasket you can buy. I do have an oil cooler that I installed a year ago that was leaking at first, but I have fixed the problem right off the bat. This leakage is puzzeling me, because I know the car doesn't use oil just leaks. Any ideas where to check would greatly be appreciate it.

Have a great day!!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If you are finding it on the base of the pump, how do you know its not it's mounting seal? On that corner from the block, its really going to be either that or the distributor seal, or the pass through bolt hole from the block into the bottom of the head. Something to consider if its the pump, it might not leak unless you are in a hard left turn driving more oil up towards the pump.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I've got the same problem right now, believe it or not. I've got the radiator out and cleaned everthing up. While it's apart I'm going to pull the injection pump and replace the FCS microswitch. My leak is also a little erratic.

I'll let you know where I it.

That's good advice on the oil separator. If you've never cleaned it, you should . . . . . probably all kinds of ancient gook in there. I think the upper part is charcoal filled for the vapor separator part. Replace the rubber tubing while you're at it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil Leak

The Spica base gasket has been replaced about 3 weeks ago. It seems though that it leaks from the bottom center of the motor and ran all the way down to the lower engine guard and drips at the lowest point of the guard. I might take a chance at coin operated car wash this weekend and hose it down good and wait and see I guess. Don't worry, I will bring a cell phone just incase the spider doesn't want to start after the engine wash (-:

Have a great day!!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Take some dry rags in case you get water in the spark plug wells. I've even had the distributor pretty wet and had the engine start . . . as long as the spark plugs weren't sitting in little bathtubs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil Leak

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I will try to isolate the oil leak and let everyone know.

Regards,
Q-man
78' Spider
96 Saab 9000 CSE
90' Saab 900 SPG

·
Registered
100 Posts
Has anybody had any luck with oil additives to stop or at least slow down leaks.

I never had an Alfa that didn't leak ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
oil leaks

I got great results switching to mineral oil. I used Kendal and it is very very stable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts