Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of the advertised oil leak fix products, like Dura-Seal work? I've got a decent oil leak that leaves embarrassing oil stains wherever I go. It sure looks like it's coming from the rear main seal, but I'll do my due diligence to see if I can truly find the source.
I'm really only looking for temporary fix to get me through the rest of my driving season. If I pull the motor now, I might as well write off 2011.

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
Carry a piece of box cardboard in the trunk, and lay it on the ground where you park. Presto, no more embarrassing oil stains! You can also observe the rate of oil loss, increasing, decreasing or constant, as well as amount. It the cardboard gets soaked, right away, it's repair time.
BTW, I've never been able to squeeze any useful amount of oil from snakes to replenish oil lost from Alfa / Ferrari leaks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm interested in any thoughts on Howie's question, too. My '67 1600 went through about a quart of oil per tankful of gas on the way to and from the Lexington convention. The rear bumper and license plate valence were covered in oil droplets. I figured I was in for new pistons and liners until I crawled under the car. The transmission and chassis is coated in oil. I presume the problem is the rear crank seal since the plugs don't foul and the engine otherwise runs excellently. It has ~100K miles on it.

So, is there a magic bullet for this that might last the summer?

Mike Hollinger
Atlanta

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gordon, be careful of squeezing those snakes. Too much and you'll go blind!!

By the way I called Duro-seal and asked them about their magic formula and they said it's designed to work with the more modern materials in today's gaskets and seals and to save my money trying to get it to work on 40 year-old seals.

The transmission/clutch crossmember is always oily and always seems to have a drop of oil ready to fall whenever I look at it. From the posts I read that doesn't readily mean the leak is from the rear seal. So once I clean off the motor hopefully I can start to trace the source of the leak.

·
Registered
457 Posts
it's designed to work with the more modern materials in today's gaskets and seals and to save my money trying to get it to work on 40 year-old seals.
Well, dang! I guess it's STP and sawdust for me.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
Hey ... that's not as bad as squeezing snakes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts