Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need a 24v expert to jump in here please.

Jay has oil leak under tensioner on his 24v engine and he posted this question, "Is there an oring under tensioner?"

This is our email chatter so far:
Steve,
When the 24V arrived it was leaking oil from under the timing belt tensioner piston assembly. One of the nuts holding the assembly to the block was missing, I assumed this was what was causing the leak. I have since added a nut but it continues to leak oil. When I took the piston off I didn't see an o-ring or gasket between it and the block; is there supposed to be one? do you know the part number?
Jay Reddy

Jay,

In response to you oil leak problem on 24v engine:

Tensioner is a self contained unit on 24v with no oring behind it unless long stud is supposed to have one as on 12v engines with oil fed tensioner and they left it out of picture in parts CD for 24v engines.. Which nut was missing on long stud or short one? If long one was stud tight in block? I suspect based on two pictures attached of 24v and 12v stud item 17 in both pictures 24v engines needs oring under it.

Long solid center stud 60580236 on 24v shown with no oring in parts CD item 17 first picture. However on 12v hollow stud 60539559 (item 17 second picture) does have oring 60513404 (item 19 second picture) which is shown under stud where it screws into block.

I wonder if your oil leak because of lose stud and no oring? On 12v engines original configuration was for hollow stud to supply oil pressure to oil fed tensioner. If oil passage still present in 24v block then that probably is source of your leak and either oring missing or damaged.

I know you don't want to hear it but if so you maybe "renting tools" again and starting over.

Steve

Also 24v experts I wonder if first picture for 24v long stud being on top and short on on bottom is correct or they just copied 12v picture? I have a 24v tensioner in my hand and long hole in housing is bottom hole not top one if I remember correctly from Myron's LS. I don't have a 24v engine to look at right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is no o-ring or oil passage there that I know of and I have done several 24V tensioner overhauls.

I think the oil must be coming from somewhere else. Oil pump seal, cam seals, or somewhere else in the area.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Steve - do you have any pictures, i can try to check my spare 24v engine stored in the barn, but it will be a few days since its 105 degrees here :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
No oil stud, o-rings is correct!
I think oil pump seal is leaking or cam seals as well.
J

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No oil stud, o-rings is correct!
I think oil pump seal is leaking or cam seals as well.
J
I agree no oil stud but if the 24v solid stud (called a plug in parts CD) does screw into an oil passage no longer used on 24v engine then it has to be sealed with possible oring in groove on end if that is how it is designed.

I remember that on 12v engine when installing new style tensioner you install a solid stepped stud with blue loctite to block off oil and to attach tensioner.

I don't have any pictures except parts CD ones I already posted.

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve - do you have any pictures, i can try to check my spare 24v engine stored in the barn, but it will be a few days since its 105 degrees here :eek:
How hot was it today? Here is was 101 ocaenfront and 106 inland. It was so hot I stripped out some 2.5L heads and a block in my kitchen area to beat the heat.

As far as that GTV6 block and 12v 164 block are concerned the top stud hole is oil fed port and bottom one fixed stud. I sat a 24v tensioner on engine with long stud in bottom hole just to see about how it might fit on 24v engine. There is a big plug in oil passage that I could not get out but I wonder if 24v block passages drilled about the same?

Anybody got a 24v block with tensioner off so they could take a picture of that area?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
How hot was it today? Here is was 101 ocaenfront and 106 inland. It was so hot I stripped out some 2.5L heads and a block in my kitchen area to beat the heat.

As far as that GTV6 block and 12v 164 block are concerned the top stud hole is oil fed port and bottom one fixed stud. I sat a 24v tensioner on engine with long stud in bottom hole just to see about how it might fit on 24v engine. There is a big plug in oil passage that I could not get out but I wonder if 24v block passages drilled about the same?

Anybody got a 24v block with tensioner off so they could take a picture of that area?
I always thought the 24V tensioner was better, maybe we could retro. lol

Interesting though. I am curious to see a 24V as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts