Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sadly noticed yesterday that I have some serious oil in my radiator overflow container!! Why, how? What is the cause and the fix? The previous owner changed the oil just before he sold me too.....smart kid
BTW-I also have a oill leak too by the main seal, I think.
(Darn, and I just got this car a week ago!)

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Check for oil in the radiator (milkshake looking crude). Did you check the coolant before you bought the car, or was that just changed also?

It's likely that you have a blown head gasket. Also, on the oil leak, check to see if there's an oil leak from the rear of the head gasket. Oil from that could be leaking down and giving the impression of a bad rear main seal.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Speakin' o' which...I notice that I find a slight smear of oily residew on my radiator cap every few 100 miles when I check the coolant - no "curdled cream" just a little dark grey slime. I'm thinking maybe a head re-torque if there is any seepage - no evidence in the oil of coolant - or am I just forestalling the inevitable? AND, does anyone have the torgue sequence for an '82? I would really appreciate any info.

Thanx to All,

Doug T.:eek: :p

·
Registered
445 Posts
Do them all up to slightly more than finger tight, then with the torque wrench start in the middle and work to the ends. Do them all up to about 50 ft. pounds, then 1/4 turn each in sequence to the specified value. At least, that's what my memory says. If you try to do them in 5 lb. increments, you may not get equal tension. Anyone?

·
Registered
598 Posts
For retorqueing the Head, go to International Auto Parts Tech section and use the final torque sequence after a Head Gasket replacement to retorque the head.

For those who are uninformed. Oil in the Water jacket means one or more of the six little O rings that seal the oil passages to the cam journals have failed. However to replace the O rings, the head gasket will have to be replaced.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts