Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need some opinions:
'78 Sud Super 1.3 idles very poorly, especially after spirited runs. Took out the plugs to check and found this at the plug nearest to the radiator overflow tank.
Is this a head gasket leak (can't see any obvious sign of leak), or could the oil somehow be finding its way out past the plug ? :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:(no it doesn't.

just wondering as well, in case this spells some engine work :

- will the gasket set from a 1351cc or 1490cc block work with my 1286cc engine ?

- what about valves and valve seals - are they interchangeable across the 1186cc to 1490cc engines ?

- can the 1286cc be "stroked" by using a different factory crank, and what would fit with the least work ?

- can a 1286cc block be bored out safely to take 1490cc pistons ?

Thanks guys for any help

·
Registered
612 Posts
:(no it doesn't.

just wondering as well, in case this spells some engine work :

- will the gasket set from a 1351cc or 1490cc block work with my 1286cc engine ?

- what about valves and valve seals - are they interchangeable across the 1186cc to 1490cc engines ?

- can the 1286cc be "stroked" by using a different factory crank, and what would fit with the least work ?

- can a 1286cc block be bored out safely to take 1490cc pistons ?

Thanks guys

-the 1500 gasket set is the same except for the head gaskets which are 84 mm instead of 80mm
-valves were different on very first sedans and then at some stage the diameter of the cam follower changed slightly. i replaced the exhaust valves guides with the stem seal type

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thks v much for the info.

Anyone with experience "stroking" or boring out a 1286cc block ? :)
I would say this is a bit pointless - depending where you are, a 1.5L boxer can picked up very cheaply, particularly for Aus and UK enthusiasts. 1.7's are at a premuim though. Boring out boxer's is a tricky business, as there is very little meat to actually cut out. AH Motor Sports 2L conversion has got me baffled, they must do some serious mods to the block to yield 2000cc.

~Benjamin

·
Registered
755 Posts
are you sure this oil isnt coming from the head gasket side of the head or the camhousing side? Seems to be an odd place for oil to be. Perhaps you spilt some oil when filling up your engine? Its on the same side...you have probably thought all this...just an idea...
The idle issues sound a bit head gasket related...next step would be a compression test. And head gasket doesnt necessarily mean loss of coolant etc. I have seen boxer motors with head gasket issues that cause only oil to leak into the combustion chamber, causeing bad idling due plug fouling.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
and in other news; rust found in sills and window surround.
sorry, couldn't help myself :)

looks like a cam cover gasket issue to me, replace them.. or, ignore it.
Unless, and this is what it sounds like to me - yer looking for an excuse to go crazy with some engine mods :)... then i'd say, go for it, get yourself a quadcam 1.7 and rock that sud

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thks guys for all your comments and advice.
At first I did think I could have spilt some oil when topping up, but the oil looks too dark to be fresh oil.

Alfa boxer engines of any size (and even many parts like head gaskets) are almost impossible to find where I am (Singapore), thus I would have to try to make the 1286 work for me if I am going to start rebuilding this engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts