Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Interestingly there is a move back to cartridge type filters on new engines, for reduced environmental impact and reduced cost of ownership. Certainly all the new Ford Diesel engines now have cartridges.

Not useful information but interesting.......

· Registered
2,066 Posts
I just changed my oil a few weeks ago. The cartridge filter was just as messy as the screw-on type. Once loose, I had to tip it in order to clear the bolt inside the cannister. But that's what old t-shirts are for right? Caught all the spilt oil from the cannister and didn't spill a drop on the driveway.

Love that Castrol GTX 20w50. Ever since I pulled the valve covers on my '70 Impala and found no sludge, I've stuck with it. That land yacht had over 176,000 miles on the clock.

I had a dumbguy moment the first time I tried changing the oil in my last '67 GTV. I worked on the cannister with an oil filter wrench for a half hour. I finally noticed the 17mm nut on top and viola! Duh yup. At least I got a good laugh out of it. Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself someone else sure will.

· Registered
7 Posts
I used to use FRAM oil filters on my Alfasud Sprint (boxer engine) but then had one with a faulty anti-drainback valve. Each time the car was parked and engine switched off, it seems like the oil began to drain out of the filter and back into the sump. The result was too slow build up of oil pressure next time the engine was started.

After this happened a couple of times after leaving the car parked for a day, I decided it could be causing damage, so I replaced the filter and never used FRAM again.

I've heard that the FRAM racing filters might be o.k.

The latest version of the oil filter study seems to have moved here:
http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

· Registered
1,466 Posts
I cant beleive that all this time I've been using FRAM!

I guess I always got taken by the higher price and the bright orange color. Any one else willing to admit the same or am I the only gullable consumer on the BB?

:mad:
(raises hand sheepishly) I bought FRAM for my Alfa once or twice, they're marketed as though they are the best on the face of the earth. I knew they were crap, but not this bad :eek:

· Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm a NAPA/WIX fan. I have never had one leak, or do something strange. FRAMs on the otherhand... I used to work at a Jiffy Lube, and Jiffy Lube uses fram. I can't tell you how many bad filters I came across. Some just leaked for the sake of leaking. The Wix/Napa cartrage filters for the 1750s seem to be pretty good as well.

Will

· Registered
221 Posts
Many years with Fram

Simon, Chris and Others- Yes I have been taken as well. Maybe 20 years with Fram Filters, never knowing there really was a difference. I seem to remember that they were one of the only aftermarket manufacturers easily available that fit our engines. I was just assuming they were better than OEM because they marketed better...my motors never lasted too long either, or was it my drag-racing-as- a-dumb-kid driving style...?

· Registered
1973 GTV, 1969 GTV, TR4 & 1969 Roadrunner (long gone), 1967 & 1969 Corvettes
7,178 Posts
I was using the Puralator oil filter for a while, it's real BIG which is a plus.
I use that one - the 20020 IIRC and what a PITA to get off. I haven't gotten around yet :)oafter 2 years:() to find a wrench that will fit its 4 1/4" diameter and for the last 2 changes, had to resort to the "poking holes in it with a screwdriver :mad:" method to get it off.

· Registered
106 Posts
I have been using the Baldwin oil filters for a few years with no problems. I am able to purchase them locally from a truck supply house located in Anaheheim, CAL. They are called Fleetpride home based in Dallas, TX. They have supply houses in different parts of the country. The people I worked with in Cal. were very helpful and special ordered for me the main fuel filter for the Spica system. Prices are great too.
For your info the part numbers are: oil filter - B233
fuel filter - PF866
I have no affiliation with Fleetprde this is just for information.

· Premium Member
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,979 Posts
I use a Purolator L20020...available from my local Pep Boys. It's nice and big. Makes it a little harder to get off, but not undoable.

· Registered
496 Posts
I use a Purolator L20020...available from my local Pep Boys. It's nice and big. Makes it a little harder to get off, but not undoable.
I've never found an oil filter that gave me any trouble when using a huge pair of channel locks to remove it. You just sorta crush it a bit in the process. I got a set at Harbor Freight some years ago for like $8. They are about 16 inches long with jaws that can open about 5-6 inches. They do fit in the Alfa engine bay. And you don't have to move them very far to loosen it. Heck, they even fit in the engine bay on my old '78 Saab 99 Turbo and that motor was shoe-horned in there.

Karl

· Registered
1973 GTV, 1969 GTV, TR4 & 1969 Roadrunner (long gone), 1967 & 1969 Corvettes
7,178 Posts
Love that Castrol GTX 20w50. Ever since I pulled the valve covers on my '70 Impala and found no sludge, I've stuck with it.

The new formulation in this and in most all oils, make them not the same oils as before.

· Registered
88 Posts
First recommended by my Alfa mechanic and engine builder, followed by 22 years of happy motoring, another vote for Baldwin. Additionally, our Baldwin wearhouse distributor had cut aways of all the major brands displayed, one look was enough.

3,004 Posts
filters

Being involved in heavy duty diesel vehicle maintenance, I've gone away from Fram filters ages ago. Baldwin is a good brand, Donaldson and Fleetguard are in the same range.

I use on my 2000 Alfa the popular Ford 302 filter (aka Fram PH8A); its smaller diameter makes it easier to install than the PH7 size, but it's still a pretty large filter. Features include anti drainback valve and same bypass pressure as the original.

One major benefit of this popular size: it is available with a synthetic media offering finer filtration (around 20 micron absolute rating, compared to 35-40 for cellulose media). The Baldwin number is B2-HPG.

· Certified Oldschooler
7,074 Posts
Must be nice to have a spin on . . . .

· Certified Oldschooler
7,074 Posts
Thanks. Does that mean I can use a Fram filter? ;):eek:;) Bruce

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.