Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Labor Day all
This will sound like a completely foolish questions but here goes. I'm changing the oil for the first time on my 164..... I've been fighting the filter for 5 minutes. Either the mechanic who last changed the oil tightened the filter so tight I can't get it off or I'm turning it the wrong way. The filter itself has actually twisted slightly from the torque of the wrench. Is it all possible that the filter on a 164 threads the opposite direction from normal?

WadeR

1991 164s

·
Registered
4,049 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never mind....... I finally wrangled it off..... Dang was it tight

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Person who put it on probably tightened it with a filter tool. They should be put on no more than hand tight. I use one of those band filter wrenches to get them off.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Many filters have very weak, thin tin casings and can't take much torque trying to get them off. As Del says, most filters suggest ½ to ¾ turn after gasket contacts.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
One reason I like the Hastings / Baldwin filters, very strong casings on those, also bigger around so you can get some leverage on it.

Glad you got it though! :001_cool:
Charles

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
With the 24V, you have to use the small filter I believe.

·
Registered
444 Posts
With the 24V, you have to use the small filter I believe.
Durn tootin! (stupid swear filter...) When I got my 24V one of the first things I did was change the oil. Somehow, whoever worked on it previously was able to install a large canister Fram oil filter in that tight space. It took me over an hour to fish it out, which I was finally able to do by pushing it up and around the rear exhaust header, then from between the rear cylinder head and firewall!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts