Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:Muscles aren't what they use to be:(. You know, now with the difficulity in buying Anabolic steroids. I use the "big" filter - something like 4" in diameter. I've been muscling them off but when it's hot, it not much fun and it's hard to do. What you've been using:confused: Strap wrenches.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I am using a special oil filter wrench, a metal one....bought it cheap in Holland, years ago, but it still works like a dream!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a special oil filter wrench, a metal one....bought it cheap in Holland, years ago, but it still works like a dream!
:rolleyes: and I guess it slipped your mind to pick one up for me, heh:(

;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
The spin-on filters can be a royal PITA to remove if you don't have the right tool. I have been meaning to get one of those filter tools where you can attach a 1/2" ratchet and just turn it off, though I don't actually know if there is room. I have one of those really cheap wrenches with a bit of bicycle chain on it, but it is junk. I have had to resolve to the old screwdriver wrench but it's a real mess.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yet another reason to own a 1750! :D ;) :rolleyes:

:(Jim,

:rolleyes:Please keep your comments Technical and I'll take care of the jokes:)

Regards, Fred

;)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
When installing spin-on filters be sure to oil the rubber gasket surface. Also, a lot of people way overtorque. There's less than 75 pounds of pressure in the system. Torque the filter min spec and no more.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When installing spin-on filters be sure to oil the rubber gasket surface. Also, a lot of people way overtorque. There's less than 75 pounds of pressure in the system. Torque the filter min spec and no more.

:confused:Maybe that's my problem. I've been using one of these attached to a 3' section of pipe:eek:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30395

In all seriousness, even when I just handtight the Puro L20020 and oil the gasket, I've found it difficult and at times impossible to remove by hand especially when hot. "Usually" when it cools and I curse enough, it'll come off. Once it didn't and I had to resort to the screwdriver method as a loosening tool. Thanks RT

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I usually just tighten the filter by hand and as long as I degrease outside of the filter (so that it's not slippery), I have no problem taking it off by hand (no tool required). Oh, and I have never had any oil leak in the filter area with this hand-tightening method.

Also, a lot of people way overtorque. There's less than 75 pounds of pressure in the system. Torque the filter min spec and no more.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I usually just tighten the filter by hand & I have no problem taking it off by hand
:mad: They come off for everyone else and not for me. :confused:
Clockwise to get them off, right?

;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Uh, this is a "joke" part, right? :confused:;). Well, now I think about it, you may have a battery tray or an A/C compressor that's preventing you from gaining better access. On the later Spiders, it's a wide open space after you take the air box out, which makes it bit easier to use your might.

Clockwise to get them off, right?

;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I had one of those large filters on my 74 GTV. I was able to undo the filter with a metal filter wrench but the only way I could get that sucker out of it's hole was to remove the battery and the radiator over flow bottle. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts