Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

Does anyone know if an oil filter comparison was ever done as a function of brand for our Milanos? I'm thinking just in terms of the filter paper with pore size etc. in how effective they are for cleaning the oil. In the past I've used the small tecnocar filter since I had the AC unit. The AC is out now so my realm is opened!

thanks a lot
AlfaBeta

·
Registered
132 Posts
whenever i place an order with mahle, i order the latest v6 oil filter for me and the few los angeles area shops that are still around. it's small and has the latest specs for pressure tolerance and so on.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I use the filter that goes on a 2001 camery v6
it crossed to the same filter that was on the Verde when I got it. And every where I go they have it. The part the most show for the alfa is the wrong part. they show some monster filter that would never fit with out lifting the motor out part way first.

if I can I get the WIX they seem to be a better filter then the fram/etc at the local place. but I will use what they have if I need to. the last time I was at a real auto store I got all the WIX they had in stock. like 12 so, it should last for a while.
I have been using them on the camery the spider and the Verde.
makes it easy to use the same filter on 3 cars..

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wix makes the best filter in my opinion so get that if available. It is true that the listed filter (Fram) for the Milano is too big without putting a ding into it. The Camry filer fits right in.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,406 Posts
I have posted this picture before, but it is telling. The filters shown are filters available for V6 Alfas a few years ago; it is not exhaustive as the good quality Wix/Purlator filter is not shown.

The conclusion I drew from this little exercise is that most filters look to be well made, save the FRAM which looks terrible.

From left to right: Baldwin (Centerline), Clean (IAP), Mobil 1, FRAM, Motorcraft, Old OEM Alfa, and New OEM Alfa.

I use the big Balwin; It's a pain to squeeze by the stock manifolds (no, you won't kink it if you're careful) but not really a problem. Headers on a V6 actually make changing the filter easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

Thank you for the replies, especially your comparison photo JoeCab! I've been using the "new" OEM Alfa filter (all the way on the right) but I may try the WIX filter next.

thanks again!
AB

·
Registered
487 Posts
So ... I hate to ask this but this thread had me questioning my consistent use of Fram filters over the past 10+ YEARS!!!:eek:

For my occasional time trial/performance street car how much does this matter? If I change every 4,000 - 4,500 miles, is there a marginal benefit to the engine?

As I'm writing this post, I’m thinking that there very well could be. Any thoughts?:confused:

PS: I’ve already sourced some WIX at my local Carquest.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Personally I avoid them. The additional few dollars per oil change is worth it for my peace of mind.

BobIsTheOilGuy has some good reading and the forums are probably a good place to find information on filter construction and its potential impacts to the quality of the engine's lubrication.

I also read this Engine Oil Filter Study a while ago....it is fascinating.

Still, nothing has shown that engines all over the globe are dying horrible deaths due to Fram filters. But when I read about cardboard end-caps, anti-drainback valves that don't seal completely, bypass valves that aren't molded right, low filter element area, and potentially restrictive oil inlet holes, I think to myself.....why risk it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
James et al,

For the peace of mind ...

Thanks.:eek:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Greetings,

To revive an old post; what are the part numbers and recommended brands for the correct oil filters to use on a Milano 3.0L engine?

I'm also curious as to what is the correct pressure rating for the by-pass relief valve* on the oil filter for the 3.0L engine?

* note this is not the same as the pressure relief spring (valve) which completely by-passes the oil filter media, when for example, the oil filter is blocked or clogged up.

Thank you,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts