Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I noticed something today on the replacement engine I am putting in my 1983 GTV6. The old original engine coming out..had oil pressure feeds going from under the oil pressure gauge sender to the back of the heads. The new engine(from a 1987 Milano I was told) has no such feeds. Was the 1987 2.5 V6 revised to have the heads fed by oil galleries direct from the block to the heads? As you can see in the picture of the new engine...the port of the oil feed is blocked off. And what is the sender on the left? For a idiot oil pressure light? Thanks again for any comments.....from a first time Alfa owner.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,762 Posts
Oil feeds

All V6 engines feed the heads from internal oil port.
A "Fix" for leaking headgaskets was to block the internal port and feed from the rear. Sometimes done when using different series heads as later ones used different port "nipple" design.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I am sure as time goes on, I will be asking and learning things as my project continues.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Hi Mr. Rat

A long time ago (say 1981 to 1984) a company called Shankle sold a kit, that converted the GTV6 motor to external oil lines. This is what I think you had. All the GTV6's came within internal oil routing from the factory.

Earlier GTV6's (perhaps up to 1982) had an unusual multi-piece head gasket. They were prone to oil leaks. The Shankle kit was designed to remedy this issue. Alfa moved to a more normal one piece head gasket and the problem went away.

If you still have the remains of the external oil lines please post a picture, I've never actually seem them in the flesh.

Bye

Oh and yes, the sender on the back of the head goes to something on the Milano.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Hi Mr. Rat

Thanks for the picture. I've never seen one, but that's definitely the shankle kit. Notice the old style multi piece head gasket with individual fire rings for each cylinder.

Thanks Again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts