Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did run a search and saw this was very briefly touched upon, but was hoping for either directions to a lengthier conversation or that others might like to share their own experiences of the two different timing belt tensioner systems. I've got a used engine on the way with a refurbished (resealed) Hydraulically operated belt tensioning system, but I also have a new-in-box bimetal mechanical tensioner handy. I'm left wondering if I should leave the engine as is or have the tensioner converted over. For the record the TB will be new, I'm just being proactive with what I have.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
You know, I don't think anyone has EVER asked this question before! :D

Seriously, Dave...use the search function. This has been discussed to death. No need for yet another thread on TB tensioners.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links, I figured I'd get a mild chiding and then sent those, I just couldn't find anything in my initial searches. The mechanical tensioner I have is great (Jason would know, I purchased it from him!) but when I hear 'preference' I get to wondering about the specifics. FWIW, Porsche 924/944/968 fanatics have similar discussions about setting timing on the old 4 cylinders. Even now that there is a seven dollar tool out there to replace the 500.00 dial indicator, the debate is never ending :sailor:

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I've always used the Mechanical ones, 30 years now. They seem to work fine. Don't want to hear the argument. It's the 8 TOOTH defect. Tensioner setting is more important than the type you decide to use.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8 tooth defect? I suspect I'm being unreasonably dense in this instance, but trying to learn, honest!

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
Tensioners

You do NOT need a detensioner. Nothing but a problem causer. A mechanical tensioner tensioned so the needle indicates full hard is as good as the Zat tensioner which solves the tensioner problem fully.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Everyone has an opinion. Do what suites you and what you think will be the best option. Hydraulic is great. What came on the car, robust design. Mechanical less robust but if set up correctly has few issues. Static tensioner, less issues but occasional re-tension so if your not willing to pop in there every 15K miles than go with either H or M DE- tensioners.

I truly feel the Hyrd. is the best option. Mine is ready to be rebuilt but has gone 7 years without an issue. But that's my opinion and experience. It is very easy to revert back to this set up if desired. I can walk you through it or you can read the posts.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
The 8 TOOTH defect.
It's the Timing Belt setup on the V6 12V, facing the engine you'll see that the left cam sprocket, the belt only hits 8 cogs of the sprocket, whereas the left has 16. When the tentioner explodes it's the left head is usually the one damaged.

The V6 24V seems to have corrected this issue by installing a pulley in between the cam sprockets in the center.

The timing belts made today are way better than the past. A fixed tentioner is probably the best solution, because the newer belts will not stretch over time or wear like the old ones.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I'm running modified hydraulic tensioners on both of my 164S s and probably have about 250,000 miles total on this type of tensioner without an issue. I prefer the hydraulic, or modified hydraulic to the mechanical tensioner.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
Well, that's clear as mud, then. Thanks guys.

For the record: all of you are wrong and your engines are all going to explode.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
I've used the same stock OEM hydraulic unit in my 91S now for 178k miles. Works well.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
If you've been around for awhile this goes way back to before the 164 to the GTV6. There has never been a definitive, slam dunk conclusion as far as I can tell and due to the relative rarity of them now there never will be a definitive answer that would be based on actual data. The belts probably are better now but the bottom line is that whatever system you use the requirement for vigilance is still there. Don't treat it like a Toyota and you'll probably be alright, Lord knows it certainly doesn't sound like a Toyota.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts