Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just had my 1600cc junior kamn tail spider engine rebuilt - unfortunately found out that the dipstick has been misplaced after the build - trouble is to track down a replacement I need to know the exact dimensions - i.e. stop to end of dipstick, stock to max mark, stop to min mark and the difference between max and min - any help would be greatly appreciated, this would really help me out

many thanks

David

·
Richard Jemison
7,376 Posts
dipstick

If you find the length from cover to tip I have a bunch of old dipsticks in the shop and will send you one if I have it. Just pay USPS fee for wherever it`s going.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi David

1600 second series:

Tube length (from block to top) - 80 mm
length from top stop to max mark - 240 mm
length from max to min mark - 32 mm

I believe there were to different tube lengths, if yours is different you can calculate the difference in length from stop to max as the oil pans will be identical.

cheers
Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob

Thanks for the quick reply, this is a real help, and Rich really appreciate your offer. I can check the usual sources in the UK who hopefully can help to save you the hassle, but if you do have one with these measurements that would be a real bonus

thanks again

kind regards

David

·
Richard Jemison
7,376 Posts
Dip stick

Tube length (from block to top) - 80 mm
length from top stop to max mark - 240 mm
length from max to min mark - 32 mm
Actually

I find it difficult to believe there isn`t a error in those measurements.

I have 2 Tubes & sticks where the Dipstick is matching the "top stop to mark" and
"Max to min mark" but both had tubes about 8 " long . Both have the rubber tube clamp to the sump tube type mount?
]

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'll have another look.
The tube measurement was an 11 PM flashlight measurement and could well be wrong.

Bob

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, I measured again and the tube is indeed 82 mm long. It is an Alfetta block with the tube going directly (without any rubber) into the block on the top of the fuel pump flange. Maybe thats the reason for the difference?
I will measure/compare the length and placement on a 1300 and/or 1750 105 block, tube and stick tomorrow...
Bob

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The tube length difference is probably due to the differences in Euro and USA engines. Euro engines have the dipstick tube screwed into the right side of the front cover while USA cars have the tube clamped onto a fitting on the left side of the sump. In addition, Euro engines can have different tube and dipstick lengths.
I found an Alfa Information Sheet for older 1600 engines stating the distance between MIN and MAX is 32mm and 243mm from the TOP of the stop to the MAX mark.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks Jim.
All we need to know now is if David has a Yurpean or a brave new world motor. I'll stiil have a look tomorrow anyway just to see if there is a difference between 105 and 116 blocks.

Cheers
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts