Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to put it?

Any recommendations for the cooler?

One more detail the car has a 1750 motor with the cartridge oil filter. Anyone know where to get the adapter plate?

Thanks

Tina

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
The oil pan is your oil cooler !
You don't need another one, even with a 1750.
If the motor is getting hot, you have other problems.....

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Are you asking about a spin-on oil filter adapter? Les Hurlock is the source for those. His web site is here: new brochure -filter.

E-mail is the best way to contact him.

-Jason

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
As stated above, unless it is a very serious motor you will not need an oil cooler for street use.

Having said that, there are at least 4 possible options and then probably some.

Vertically on driver's side next to radiator as per TI Super/GTA.

Vertically on the driver's side in the battery box area with rear mounted battery or small battery near firewall if car is run w/o brake booster. TI super style inner headlight delete with it?

Horizontally in front of the radiator with the lower edge of the cooler lined up with the lower edge of the grille - I have a 9 row cooler mounted on one car like that. Works particularly well with later radiator set-up.

Horizontally on driver's side in front of radiator tucked into front valence. GTA-style vent cut outs necessary or late Nuova front valence with cut-outs - I have a 19 row cooler mounted on a car there. Upper edge of cooler comes up to lower edge of grille.

Oil radiator should be mounted so it does not drain itself, e.g. inlet outlet on top. Dash 10 fittings are preferred for flow.

Adapter is available among others here: Oil Cooler Sandwich Plate for early cartridge type oil filter | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
1300, 1600, 1750 remote oil filter/cooler adaptors.

Where to put it?

Any recommendations for the cooler?

One more detail the car has a 1750 motor with the cartridge oil filter. Anyone know where to get the adapter plate?

Thanks

Tina
Hi Tina: I have the adaptors in stock, $68.45 each includes USPS Priority Mail.

I'll try to include some photos of installations.
I buy the oil coolers from Summit Racing. To make the cooler work, it must be located close to what opening you choose, so that the air is forced thru the coils. Just mounting it in front of the radiator really doesnt get enough air thru it.

I couldn't find the installation photos, nor the cooler part number. I'll look and add them if youre interested. George

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
installation photos

The photo of the cooler mount in a Super in progress is blurry, but you can see it up tight against the right side of the grill opening.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,383 Posts
Tina, higher-level question: Is this for your street Super? If so, do you really need it? Unless you drive a lot harder than I do on the street, I can't imagine you're getting your oil hot enough to need a cooler.
Track car, yes, different matter.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I mounted my oil cooler on the battery tray (battery is in the trunk), and a box was built around it to bring fresh air from the inner light opening. You can see a portion of it in this picture:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts