Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after finally getting her on the road and enjoying the hot air cutting through my skin...another issue has perhaps popped up.....
On a 86 Quad avg driving no real heavy pushing what is the avg oil consumption ? I understand that there are many variables but was wondering what SHOULD be the avg consumption rate?. Second and possibly related (funny how that always seems to be the case) when driving from a stop, in 1st, heavy white puff of smoke …nothing or at the very least minimal from
1st to 2nd and so forth… problem ?…potential problem ?….thoughts..god she is so fun to drive on winding country roads.....
V/R
Chris

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Cars aren't supposed to burn or leak oil, however, you have an Alfa. Think about it. It holds over 7 qrts., temporarily.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,665 Posts
is this a new motor or how many miles on it? did it just start or been a gradual increase?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
about 90000 and it had a top end done about 15000 miles ago (PO) ....I would have to say gradual increase....thing is it goes away as soon as you shift out of 1st and sometime is really minimal/non existant when starting out (cold)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sound for time to rebuid the bottom end. It is probably oil getting past tired piston rings. There is probably white smoke on the rest of the gears as you drive, but since the car is moving faster is less notisable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
leaky brake booster
pedal down at stop sucks a bit of fluid into vacuum system . when you accelerate it pulls it into combustion chamber giving a puff of heavy white smoke ( oil is blueish) and no real smoke afterwards due too no further use of brake .
would be gradual as leak gets worse until failure of booster

should also do this if at a stop and rev engine after brake application

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
1 Qt every 1000mi is "normal".

1 possible source of increased oil consumption from my experience on my 87 Quad is the OVS....mine looked ok, but the brass vapor separator inside disintegrated and came out if chunks. Replacement reduced consumption to half.
I also experienced reduced consumption after I sent out my injectors...the injectors; 3 had POOR spray pattern and one FAILED. I think raw gas was hitting the cylinders washing oil film.
Just my experience...Ciao for Now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This below from Tifosi on booster seals master cylinders etc

"Master cylinder seals likely roached and leaking ensuring that every time you depress the brake, brake fluid gets sumped or pressured out of the MS, into the booster then down the booster vaccum hose into the plenum where it gets cooked off as it's drawn into the cylinders with the air and fuel. (ironically, the smoke while on the brake pedal only indicates that the booster itself is still likely OK as it's getting a strong enough vaccum to draw the fluid through that route instead of just making the idle speed go up and having it pool in the bottom of the booster housing)

On that note, does the idle speed pick up or fluctuate when you step on the brake? (if so, mabe the booster is on its way out too, but the smoke and fluid loss is a result of the MS)

Barring the fluid leaking and cooking off, along with what it can do to the booster pancake over time, (it'll destroy it in case you weren't aware), it's a dangerous situation as there's gonna come a time when you step on the brake pedal and the fluid is going to end up taking the increasingly easier path through the seals into the booster instead of pressurizing the calipers, meaning not only will it smoke with the brakes pedal depressed, but you won't have any brakes either.

Well, that and cooking brake fluid in the cylinders just isn't good for things in general from everything to the cylinders valves and plugs to what it's going to do to that expensive catylist in short order. "

Also read that you can pull vacuum line of booster and see if it is wet inside good sign that fluid of some kind is getting in
rear section of MC is where it will pull from and would be lower than front section after time also # 4 plug may look different as that is where the fluid would be burned from
white smoke could also be blown/ leaking head gasket although it tends to smoke all the time not just accelerating from stops
search: brake booster smoke for more info :)

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,665 Posts
You can also pump the brake pedal several time to draw fluid in quicker and the gas it to burn it off. If you see more smoke than usual after pumping like crazy it's most likely the MC leaking into the booster. look uder the mc wher it attaches to the booster, if there is a trail of removed paint or wet it's definitly the mc. Are you using any brake fluid, having to top of every now and then? I've know some to get more than 90k out of a set of rings, known some to get way less but you are definitly on the good side so even if it is the rings you are still in the winner column:)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I don't think it's your master cylinder as I have experienced that problem before. For one thing, once you start the engine it is constantly applying vacuum to the booster on both the forward and aft sides of the diaphragm as the control valve is open until you step on the pedal. When you apply the brake the control valve simultaneously seals the diaphragm and opens the rear section to ambient pressure so that it applies the boost assistance. The master cylinder on the forward side does not experience any increase in vacuum, it's the same.

If the master cylinder is leaking into the booster the first thing you will notice is a large, seemingly inexplicable loss of brake fluid. The next symptom will be white smoke out the exhaust particularly when you are making a hard turn to the left. Note: the booster will have a LOT of brake fluid in it by then.

Contrary to what you may think, although manifold vacuum is applied to the booster, there is no "flow" as the booster is sealed. Also, the greatest amount of vacuum is when the throttle is closed but again, there is no flow unless the booster itself is leaking in which case you'd notice it when stepping on the brakes as you'd have to really stomp on it to get them to work.

What you most likely have are worn rings or valve guides. As I said, the greatest amount of vacuum in the manifold and cylinders is during deceleration with closed throttles. At that time oil can be sucked into the cylinders past either rings or valve guides (usually valve guides).

Try this test - find a fairly long steep grade and coast down it in gear with foot off the gas then stomp on the accelerator while watching the mirror and see if you get a puff.

Edit: Another possibility is a clogged up oil/vapor separator drain line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts