Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Yours truly did all work. Oil is rotella dino 15w40. My understanding is that neither compression nor leakdown tests look at the oil control ring. All the leakage was very very clearly felt thru the oil fill cap. None thru intake. really points to either rings or liners to me. Could be a broken ring or a cylinder that didnt bed well or got a score.

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
I'm pretty sure oil is supposed to be 20w50 for these old engines. 10w40 is a modern engine, like my 156v6, oil.

So I think we have found the issue. It would definitely use/burn oil ...upsetting the oxygen sensor
Pete
ps: I'll be using Castrol GTX. Fantastically cheap now, and is a simple 20w50 oil

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hello all

I'm trying to track oil consumption but first need some help with the basics. I do have a new dipstick purchased from classic alfa. The motor is a rebuilt Spica 2l with motronic pistons and hastings rings and was broken in using the hard and varied style recommended by several. I now have maybe 1500mi on it. I use dino oil, currently VR1 20w-50...
Rus, Why did you change to 15w40? VR1 20w50 is good stuff and the recommended viscosity. The thinner vis will mean higher consumption.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I think I am maintaining too many flat tappet cars at the moment and may have mixed up Alf and the 911. I have lots of VR1 on the shelf but at present the Alfa is on Rotella. I’m not going to turn this into an oil thread but I know plenty who use this for the alfa, I myself used it in my previous 911 for many years. I would be quite surprised if that alone resulted in the relatively extreme oil consumption im seeing to say nothing of the leakdown results.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hi Rus, sorry your going through this with your build. I read most of your posts. My thinking is if your losing that much oil through the oil control ring you would resemble a crop duster on 4 wheels, but you see no visible smoke under hard acceleration? Or did I miss something?

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I was thinking the same thing! I have had Alfa engines in need of rebuilding that had visible blue smoke but not the oil consumption you stated.

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
But rmm, it is the wrong grade of oil for these engines. Might be right for a 911, but not an Alfa Nord.

My, now sold Toyota Vitz, would use oil at a high rate if I ran 10w30 but just going up to 10w40 solved it. And no, there was no crop duster oil smoke. To explain the high rate, yes not as bad as yours but in maybe 1000kms it would use half the distance between max and min.

Yes I understand the leak down results, but worth correcting the oil first or as well. To ignore or continue with this oil makes no sense to me. My father, a mechanic, always says to fix any fault you find before you move on to looking for the next issue. Correcting the oil WILL reduce your oil consumption
Pete

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,740 Posts
40wt is a tad thin IMO, but I think quite a few folks here run 40wt Rotella. 40wt vs 50wt is not going to cause this level of oil consumption, no way.

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
Starting from the beginning:

1. If no smoke the oil has to be leaking out. Admittedly hard to see oil smoke when driving

2. We are definitely not measuring oil level on a cold engine and then after 100 miles on a hot engine? Of course this won't be happening, just thinking

3. I think it is time to try an Alfa workshop for a second opinion. You've done such a good job, just doesn't add up

Best
Pete

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
40wt is a tad thin IMO, but I think quite a few folks here run 40wt Rotella. 40wt vs 50wt is not going to cause this level of oil consumption, no way.
But it might be causing 50% or 25% of it

Heck, I've posted factual experience of 30wt to 40wt, and it does make a difference ... otherwise why do they make different weight oils?

I give up. "We" are no longer breaking down the problem logically. I won't be surprised if the next post questions if the neighbour is stealing your oil ... time to get off the internet and take it to a mechanic to diagnose IMO

Good luck RMM. You have a great car
Pete

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
Apologies, bad morning.

Still think a mechanic is now required. Will save money in the long run :)
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Are the compression and leak down data in this thread?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Might as well check your oil pressure if you’re still grasping for straws. Don’t rely on the sender if you can get your hands on a real test gauge. Perhaps your oil pump‘s internal relief is stuck and your oil pressure is too high. Doubt it, but at this point, it’s possible.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
“I would be quite surprised if that alone resulted in the relatively extreme oil consumption im seeing”.
RMM - Please be prepared to be surprised. How many votes for ‘try a heavier weight oil’ do you need before you accept the possibility?
Others have reported moving from ‘excessive’ to ‘acceptable’ consumption levels with exactly this sort of switch.
Plus, you just might avoid a unnecessary and expensive tear down, and time not driving your car.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Oil constumption should improve with miles on a fresh engine. I run 20/50 on my '72 Super per spec and my '73 Spider calls for 20/50........ It's not going to change much IMHO on weight.. I would just drive the car with bursts of exuberance and keep track of what is happening. on the consumption.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Sure I can give the 20-50 VR1 a shot. Not really in a rush to tear her down. New welder arrives tomorrow and thats bound to be a fun distraction :)

Leakdown thread here Interpreting Leakdown Results

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
What is next in line for welding? :)

Pete

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
This needy little fellow on the right